Flagstone Coping

dtrujillo63

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 25, 2015
Los Angeles
I'm still on the fence on which coping style I want for my pool. My contract includes flagstone coping, my PB gave me a sample of "Red Mountain" and "Bouquet Canyon" flagstone to check out. Any thoughts on the quality of these stones? I have concerns that the coping edge will be sharp and uncomfortable to lean on, especially in the spa. Do builders/installers normally smooth out the edge of flagstone coping? For those with flagstone, do you guys have any regrets and or issues with it being uncomfortable? Thanks all!

Our neighbors have a Pennsylvania Blue Stone (it is a regional stone ) with straight edges. Our children did not like the straight edges. We got a quote for it with the rounding, we also have a reverse beam so we have 42 feet of double bull nose. (Because of the way this wall is we are using 16 inch deep stone and 2 inch thick which costs more as well) The cost was too much for what we planned to pay.
The flagstone look fits our area, we like the look.
Another stone was great( Silver Lake), came with one edge bull nosed. Discontinued.. :-( They do have different ways of putting the rounding on the stones, some are heat applied and chipped, other's are more refined edges. Check how it is done because it impacts appearance and feel.
Ultimately ask the PB how much it would cost and what it would look and feel like.
After all our effort we think we wind up going with a Travertine. But we learned a lot getting to this decision.

Our flagstone coping is chiseled. I never noticed any issues with sharpness. And we've had plenty of kids scampering around like ants and I don't recall any complaints in 3 years.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.