Rust Removal

I ordered new screws and a face plate. Two questions: will removing these screws cause my liner to slip away from the skimmer and should I drain the water down below the skimmer to install the faceplate? Not sure if the faceplate forms a water tight seal around the skimmer plate or if it's more of a decorative thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi Todd,
I missed your last post. I just went out and took my face plate off. There was a gasket between the face plate and the liner. There is also a gasket between the liner and skimmer. Hayward SP1084FGR Gray Snap on Face Plate Cover Replacement for Hayward SP1084 Skimmers on Amazon and elsewhere, not sure of your color, it snaps on over the face plate hiding screws.
Ernie

So they way mine looks is I have the skimmer plate with screws, then the liner, then the nasty exposed pool wall, then the skimmer. I just had the liner installed last year. I don't know why the installer didn't do something about that nasty rusty ****. I'll take a picture of it when I get home that shows the pool wall.

Here are some pics.

cefc82cb20770e8f456f37a46d2b7434.jpg

4643d6cf8759aa1122bfc46144a14189.jpg

a24f4419ed5c9eab709dc5c7d98b8f29.jpg

Hi Todd,
The brown you see behind your liner is a gasket, possibly two. Where mine had a gasket on either side of the liner it looks like yours has both behind your liner.
Did your new plate come with a new gasket? On mine when I took it off the old gaskets tore, they aren't designed for re-use. I would use new ones.
The installer didn't do a very good job at your skimmer, or at least I should say that the faceplate on mine hid both the cut edges of the liner and gasket.
Ernie

I agree 100% about the installer not doing a good job. There is something about the service industry in the Memphis area.... They all suck. Plumbers, HVAC, pool contractors, mechanics, etc. Every single one of them that I have dealt with over the years have always been the type to cut corners. Whatever gets them finished so they can move on to the next job. I don't know what it's like in other cities but Memphis, TN is rampant with that type. The new one should arrive today. It's just the snap on faceplate to hide the screws.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.