1st close in NC

Aug 11, 2008
First would like to thank everyone that helped me with my pool issues this summer. We have a gunite pool thats around 20,000 gallons. We want to repaint the pool a different color right before spring time. We dont have a pool cover (which we will have next year for closing) and I dont see the purspose of having to run the pump when the pool isnt in use. So after I do a full cleaning of the DE filters and draining of the pool. I am sure that all the water needs to be out of the filter also. Should the pump and filter be covered to protect from the cold. I am sure that this question get answered a lot but I am a newbie for closing a pool. All help would be great.
Thanks

dj000524 said:
First would like to thank everyone that helped me with my pool issues this summer. We have a gunite pool thats around 20,000 gallons. We want to repaint the pool a different color right before spring time. We dont have a pool cover (which we will have next year for closing) and I dont see the purspose of having to run the pump when the pool isnt in use. So after I do a full cleaning of the DE filters and draining of the pool. I am sure that all the water needs to be out of the filter also. Should the pump and filter be covered to protect from the cold. I am sure that this question get answered a lot but I am a newbie for closing a pool. All help would be great.
Thanks

Do I understand you right that you are draining the water out of the pool over the winter time?

dj000524 said:
I am wanting to drain the pool of all the water either this weekend or next weekend.

WHY????? I really think you are wrong on that. Over Winter the ground water pressure will build up and could cause one of the sides to cave-in or crack. Even if you have one of those pressure relief things in the bottom of the pool. You don't know what kind of Fall or Winter you will have.

Sorry dj000524, but I know you are dead-wrong on doing that.

Welcome to TFP!!

Listen to Hotrod!!!! :hammer: Leaving a pool drained for any period of time is just begging for trouble! If you want to repaint the pool, drain it, prep it, paint it and refill it as quickly as possible!! No matter hoe quickly you can do it, the pool is still at risk :x Make sure that ground water isn't going to pop the pool out of the ground!!

I strongly suggest you post your repainting plan here and let us help you minimise the risk to your pool!

Please think about what we've said and reply :)

being a newbie to closing a pool and this pool has been installed for over 10 yrs.,what would make you think that ground water pressure could cause the side to crack or cave in. the yard had to be build up when this pool was installed. the yard slopes away from the pool on the side and around the pool has red rocks on top of black weed material. granted i am not a architech and seeing other pools drained and kids riding skateboards in them i am just wondering. ok.. lets say that i dont drain the pool until march i dont have a cover and really see it as a waste of money to have to run the pump for several hours a day to keep it up. what other options do i have. i thought draining it would be the best option. all help would be greatfull.
thanks

ps.. hope i am not offending anybody just trying to find the best solution

OK, all we're trying to do is help you protect your pool from possible MAJOR damage :)

We know ~ nothing about your pool and yard, the water table, etc. - so we give advice that would be helpful to 90+% of pool owners. If you don't want to cover the pool, that's fine 8) But, leaving the pool empty for the winter, again, is asking for trouble. If you don't want to cover it... then don't but leave the water in the pool and protect the plumbing from freezing! You have to clean the pool before repainting next spring anyway.

Mother Nature is a powerful force and will wreck your pool if you let her :x Leave the water in the pool until you are ready to repaint and don't worry about running the pump - you'll drain it in the spring and have to clean it anyway before you apply the paint. I assume that you'll pressure wash it and maybe sandblast it as part of the prep for painting - if this is the case whatever algae and 'crud' forms over the winter doesn't matter.

It's very hard to offend the nice folks here and you're nowhere close to doing it :mrgreen: We just want to help you keep a trouble free pool 8)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.