I guess this is a start up question

Apr 27, 2015
Glendale AZ
I had a tree roots vs pool pipes situation. We had to cut out some roots, and ended up rerouting some pipes. In the process we had to do 2 partial drains to get water below wall returns because we didn't know what pipes were what. So basically I am starting over and want to start up right.

We had our first 100º day yesterday so my water temp is already around 78º.

My test today as is follows.

FC - .5
PH - 8
TA - 130
CH - 170
CYA - I really can't get a read because the water is not cloudy once the tube is to the top. (Unlike in the past! LOL)

For kicks I knew I was going to need some stabilizer to start up so I took a sample to Leslie's as I knew they at least test with a Taylor kit.
We pretty much match although they say my CYA is 25

Where do I need to start?
They suggested 1/4 - 1/2 Gal of CYA
and a bag of SHOCK and of course PhosFree. (I am no fool on PhosFree. I know that deal)

I wanna do this right so I am asking for your help. I learned of BBB last year after a "LOCK" (I was running way to many tabs) I vowed to never go down that road again.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Welcome to TFP!

Start by lowering the PH to 7.2.

Raise CYA 30 ppm. Use the granular stuff, not the over priced liquid.

If the water looks good, add about 5 ppm of chlorine this evening, and then tomorrow start targeting the FC level appropriate for a CYA of 50 (assuming you add CYA today).

Longer term, you need to raise CH to around 300 to 350. But wait until most everything else is stable before doing that.

Welcome to TFP!

Start by lowering the PH to 7.2.

Raise CYA 30 ppm. Use the granular stuff, not the over priced liquid.

If the water looks good, add about 5 ppm of chlorine this evening, and then tomorrow start targeting the FC level appropriate for a CYA of 50 (assuming you add CYA today).

Longer term, you need to raise CH to around 300 to 350. But wait until most everything else is stable before doing that.

Ha Ha I already bought the liquid when I was there. Is the only difference the price?
At this point it is not worth it for me to drive back and hassle them with a return unless the outcome will be better with granular.

Welcome to the forum ground_trooper :wave:

The liquid is just more expensive. It's nice in that you pour it in and it's "there". The liquid adds it right then and if you wanted you could retest after 30 minutes of pump time to mix. With the granular like HTH at Walmart, HomeDepot ... you add it in a sock and once it dissolves from the sock it still takes up to a week to fully dissolve into the water but almost everyone uses the granular.

Attachments

• Stabilizer HTH brand.jpg
    Stabilizer HTH brand.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 101
  • wasted-money2.jpg
    wasted-money2.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 102
OK I had a little incident tonight. I realized that I should probably backwash my pool since it has been a while since I had done it. Before putting all these new chemicals in and then washing them out.
Anyway, my backwash hose twisted into a kink and it exploded about 3 feet from the filter outlet. I shut it off immediately. But instead of stopping and thinking about my options I undid the hose, switched the valve back and turned on the pump to run the filter as it was scheduled to turn on in 5 minutes anyway.

So there was still some gunk/sand in the line because I didn't let it run long enough to run it clean. So I pumped whatever was left into my what used to be a crystal clear pool.
So tonight I have a very cloudy pool because of the sand.

Did I just wreck my crystal clear pool? or will the sand work it's way back through the system and back into the sand filter?

Thanks for your help again.

I have been working on the CYA and PH from my initial posts.

We just had a couple of days of rain so it has hampered some of my efforts.
---Edit---

So after I thought things out. After I stewed for about a half hour I went and cut my hose at the burst point and hooked it back up and did a successful back wash.

Can I expect this to clear up over time or what.

Yes, it will clear up on its own. You can run the pump longer to speed it up. Are you adding chlorine daily? Seems like you are living on the edge letting FC drop to .5. With cya at 25ish, take a look at Chlorine CYA Chart and see that the target FC is 4 and minimum is 2. Don't let FC drop below 2 or algae will grow.

Depending on what all was blow back into the pool you might need to vacuum to get it all but it's just a matter of running the pump long enough to recapture what's in there causing it to be a bit cloudy.

After you backwash do you use the "RINSE" before going back to filter ??

Yes, it will clear up on its own. You can run the pump longer to speed it up. Are you adding chlorine daily? Seems like you are living on the edge letting FC drop to .5. With cya at 25ish, take a look at Chlorine CYA Chart and see that the target FC is 4 and minimum is 2. Don't let FC drop below 2 or algae will grow.

Ya I am living on the edge. I do have some yellow slime on my walls.
I added 2 gallons of bleach and the bag of shock I had bought.

My PH is still in the 8+ range so I will work on it and it looks like my CYA is still around 25. So I need to go a little higher there.

I have and old school filter. All I have is an open/close for back wash. I don't have one of these new ones with different settings. So it is all or nothing.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ya I am living on the edge. I do have some yellow slime on my walls.
Sorry to say, if you have yellow slime on your walls you are over the edge. Get the pH in line and SLAM your pool.

Read the directions on SLAMing your pool in the How To section of Pool School and follow that procedure completely to the end.

CC is 0.5 or lower;
You pass an OCLT (ie overnight FC loss test shows a loss of 1.0 ppm or less);
And the water is clear.

When all three are true, you are done SLAMing and can allow the FC to drift down to normal levels.

OK I think I am really close. I had an overnight loss of 3 points and I have no CC. But I couldn't get up before the sun (2 hours after sunrise) as I have been a little ill. I am going to continue shock levels through today and see how my overnight loss looks tomorrow.

FC 8
PH 7.6
CYA 30

I have added a whole bottle of liquid Stabilzer and 1 bag of shock and my CYA is at about 30.
In my very sunny climate what is my best low end CYA Level? 40?

Thanks again!!

Think of brushing your pool like brushing your teeth. It's a really good habit to get into as it helps prevent problems since you're helping circulation in places that might be a bit stagnant. Helps mix things up so the filter can get them too.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.