Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Expansion Plugs

1. Back To Top    #1

Expansion Plugs

First time closing myself. I am reading about expansion plugs, however, we seem to have threaded pvc(or hard rubber) plugs with a rubber O-Ring gasket. I wasn't around for when the pc closed and opened, but I am assuming I can just wrap a little teflon tape on the threads and use these plugs for the returns...correct? We have Gizmos for the skimmers. Does the Gizmo negate the need to put anything else in the skimmer to prevent ice damage?

Thanks!!
    Andrew
    25,000 gal IG Vinyl - PoolPilot SC48 SWG - Sta-Rite 1HP/System3 CF - AquaCal HeatPump - TF-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Expansion Plugs

The threaded pvc plugs with o-ring, I install with no tape and some silicon grease on o-ring. I put teflon tape on the thread of the gizmos and put pool noodles in the skimmer. Also put pool noodles in the railing cups.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks! Gotta luv those noodles. I wouldn't have thought to do anything with the railing cups. When putting the noodle in the skimmer, do you just put a piece in behind the skimmer door or do you feed it through the skimmer?
    Andrew
    25,000 gal IG Vinyl - PoolPilot SC48 SWG - Sta-Rite 1HP/System3 CF - AquaCal HeatPump - TF-100

4. Back To Top    #4

I remove the door/weir and fill the skimmer with 4" noodle pieces standing up.
    IG 18x36 oval vinyl, Spill over spa, Northstar 2hp-2spd, 2.5" piping, S310T 500lb Sand filter, 400k gas heater, AutoPilot SWCG
    http://www.tftestkits.net/

5. Back To Top    #5

Got it...thanks!
    Andrew