Newbe with above ground, over sized filter???

afqu

May 2, 2015
Lakeland FL
We have a new 18'x52" Intex Ultra frame, 6981 gal volume. I wanted a DE filter, and saw one on craigslist for $75.00 advertised as a sand filter, but label said DE, but no size or model number was shown.
Drove 2 hrs to look at it. Complete pkg. was used for one year, like brand new with a 2hp pump, valve and chlorinator. So I bought it. Upon returning home, researched. As it turns out, it is waaay big.
It is a hayward Pro-grid 4820, advertised to turnover 7200GPH. Am I crazy to try and use this? All input is appreciated.

That is a great price for that filter and one heck of a turnover rate, you'd need to filter only 1 hour a day ;).

What I'd be worried about is feeding that hungry pump, You may need a 2 1/2" suction line and 2" out.

You may try flipping it, making some money in the progress, and buying a pump better sized for your pool. An oversized filter IMO, will work for you, just the pump may be too aggressive.

That pump might be a bit much for your Intex plumbing ... and it will use a lot of power.
Your Intex pump is not going to have the power to backwash that new filter. It might work to filter with your pump, but you will have to disassemble to clean it.

Sounds like you got a really good deal, just not sure how well it is going to work for you.

That pump might be a bit much for your Intex plumbing ... and it will use a lot of power.
Your Intex pump is not going to have the power to backwash that new filter. It might work to filter with your pump, but you will have to disassemble to clean it.

Sounds like you got a really good deal, just not sure how well it is going to work for you.

Always the newbie or dummy that gets the good deals, huh? Thanks for replying.
To make sure I kinda understand..............pump is hungry for water, it works hard to get it, then electric bill goes way up. I think I understand the filter part pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

That is a great price for that filter and one heck of a turnover rate, you'd need to filter only 1 hour a day ;).

What I'd be worried about is feeding that hungry pump, You may need a 2 1/2" suction line and 2" out.

You may try flipping it, making some money in the progress, and buying a pump better sized for your pool. An oversized filter IMO, will work for you, just the pump may be too aggressive.

Hi crabboy, thanks for the input. If I do decide to go with a smaller pump, any suggestions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.