How to know if used sand filter is bad

cnshough

In The Industry
Jul 3, 2013
When we bought our house 2 years ago, the lady had let the pool go for many, many years. She had to get it ready to go again as part of the purchase agreement.

A few days ago I noticed water around my hayward sand filter. Yesterday, it dawned on me that I had a leak. I can't find any water on the outside of the filter or any of the pipes. I guess it's coming from the bottom of the filter.

We have the old sand filter that the previous owner replaced with this one. It looks good to me, but I'm sure there must have been something wrong with it for them to replace it. I would also assume that I can put water in it before installing it, but it probably won't leak until it's all hooked up and pressured up and running. Am I right?

So, is there any way to know if the other filter is bad before taking the first one down?

You can fill the old one up with water to see if it leaks. Visually inspect the laterals for cracks or breaks. Usually leaks are only unrepairable if they are in the filter body. Pipes, valves, laterals, and gaskets can all be replaced if needed and parts are available. Do you know the brand of the filter? Many of the filters have diagrams of parts that can help you identify what needs replacing.

This time of year it is possible for water to be condensation on the tank because the pool water is so cold. So there may not be an actual leak.

There is no easy way to test a filter throughly without installing it. You can check the tank for obvious problems, but many things are difficult to spot with only a visual inspection.

Just spoke to the previous owner. She said her sister gave her the other pump when they covered up their pool, so she thinks it's good. Question becomes, how long can I let this one leak before replacing it? I'm getting married in 2 weeks and am not really ready to take up this task!

It all depends on how much water, how fast it's leaking that you're willing to replace. Can you notice a drop in water level each time you run the pump or not and if so how much ??
Are you in an area where water is restricted or really expensive ??
You don't have a location or information which would be helpful like the model numbers of the two filters to know if they are the same size or if you are going smaller or too small !! It needs to be big enough for your pool and flow enough water to filter properly.

Please add your location to your profile and your pools info to your signature as outlined here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/165-getting-started

Bottom line I'd wait till after the wedding if you can and run the pump as little as possible till then just to keep it from going green. You likely have way too much on your mind and don't really need to be out working on the pool if you don't have to ;)

That's assuming the present filter is leaking and it's not something like condensation or a loose fitting that just needs tightening.

Well, upon closer inspection, it looks like it's my pump that's leaking, not the filter. I can't see water dripping, so I guess it's leaking from the bottom. Where should I start troubleshooting?

It's a hayward super II 1 hp

If it's not even dripping you don't have much of a leak but you need to find out if it's the shaft seal that's leaking as it doesn't take much to ruin the front bearing in the motor. https://www.google.com/#q=pool+pump+front+seal+youtube

Would still be nice if you added location and pool info.

Mine was doing the same thing, or so I thought. I finally realized, it wasn't the pump but the threaded pvc connection on the discharge side of the pump. It may very well be your pump, but rule out other possibilities before you start messing with the pump. I almost returned a brand new pump that I got a great deal on.

Congrats too!

Then it's likely the shaft seal. Eliminate the chance anything else is leaking and it's running down to that location and then it's a matter of pulling the motor and inspecting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.