Extended Filter Service Intervals

Sep 18, 2008
We've been using a vertical grid DE filter for our pool for years, but it has cracked and is leaking. It needs to be replaced and I'm considering my options for its replacement. Due to a busy travel schedule, I am available to service the filter only once every two or three months. Unfortunately, there is no one else who is able to do this. (You'll have to trust me on this.)

I've never used a sand filter, but have heard that they are very easy to maintain. Unfortunately, I don't think they will provide the level of filtration we are used to with our current DE filter.

A neighbor suggested that I might try a cartridge filter saying that they are very trouble-free. I am concerned, thought, that they may require more frequent attention than I am able to provide. I've had people quote me service intervals for cartridge filters ranging anywhere from a couple weeks to a year. What's the right answer here?

Moreover, what is the best type of filter for extended service intervals?

The service interval for a cartridge filter depends on the size you get. If you get one large enough, you can go as much as a year without cleaning.

I have a 420 sq-ft filter for a 21,000 g pool and clean mine twice a year but not because I have to but just because I want to. At the end of 6 months, there is barely a 1 PSI rise in filter pressure so theoretically, I could go much longer. I know that some go as much as a year without cleaning the filter.

The main reason some people have to clean their cartridge filters more often is that their pool builder put in a small filter. Oversize the filter and you can go much longer without cleaning it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.