IC 40 Intelchlorinator says low salt when it is at 3435 (ideal)

Can anyone help me with what is going on? My IC 40 reports good flow but the red light (low salt) is on. The pool temperature is 65 degrees right now, but the red light remains on when I switch to spa mode and heat the jacuzzi. Is the IC 40 malfunctioning? I am concerned about low chlorine production since the machine is perceiving low salt levels. I had my pool tested for its salinity and it is nearly ideal at 3435 ppm. Thank you for any suggestions.

If there is a Low Salt level, then it most likely isnt producing chlorine.

How was the salt level tested? Pool Store? You? by what method? Computer? Strips? Titration test?

I would recommend taking some water to several places to get tested. Just like getting a second opinion from a Doctor.
Since it has only been in use since July, then warranty shouldnt be a issue. If its true the salt is OK then I would recommend you contact your Pool Builder as most likely, any warranty claim would processed through him.

Our salt level always reads (about 400) higher on the control panel than when tested. I wouldn't add more salt until you figure out if the IC40 is bad or not. Test your chlorine level. You can add plain old Walmart bleach in the mean time if it's low. Definitely call your pool builder.

I don't understand how two companies can be that far apart with their testing?

How long do I have to wait for the IC 40 to recalibrate?

Thanks!

- - - Updated - - -

opps! A&S tested my salt and it read 3435 ppm whereas Leslie's tested it at 2300 (low). I added five bags (40 lbs) of salt in accord with Leslie's recommendations. See above for the questions. Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

It still reads low on the IC40.

Have you ordered your own test kit? http://www.amazon.com/TAYLOR-TECHNOLOGIES-INC-K-1766-CHLORIDE/dp/B001DO35EU
Testing your pool water is easy to do and for more reliable than a store.
I removed our salt cell for the first time since it was installed and the muratic acid/water solution didn't bubble at all. There was no build up on the plates.
What percent do you have the cell set to run at thru the Easy Touch control panel?
Also what is your chlorine level?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My IC 40 had this issue. Reading low salt when it was at 3400 ppm. I acid washed it three times with no luck and finally called my pool builder. Luckily it was still under warranty. He came out and fixed it for me. When I called he said he would either replace the sensor or replace the unit. I'm thinking he replaced a sensor. I was not home when he came. Got home and it was working.

Not a lot of info, but you may have an issue that's covered under the 3 year warranty.

My guess is he added salt. Salt tests are not all that precise, +/- 400 is common. Also, adding more salt is not a problem. IC does not give high salt error until 4500ppm. But, it will continue to produce salt at even higher levels. I learned that my first fall with the pool. When the water got cold and it gave me low salt error I added more salt. And more, etc. Salt was well above 5000 and it kept making chlorine for the next 2+ years and I didn't have to add salt for 2 years! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.