Algae Spots-Help Please!

Apr 26, 2015
Hewitt/texas
I need a "how to take care of your pool for dummies" book. We have a saltwater pool. This will be our 4th summer. We haven't had too much trouble except the pressure gauge was just replaced and last year the filter was replaced under warranty. At least I think it was the filter. Ugh. We are in Texas and have had lots of rain. Then lots of algae. My husband tried algaecide. Didn't work. The pool construction people came and shocked the pool. Told us to sweep the algae off the bottom and deck. Run for 24 hrs then backwash everyday for a few days. Well its not green anymore but it's cloudy blue. My husband tried clarifier. Still cloudy. I need a pool boy!!! Sooo frustrated. Any idea what's wrong? Suggestions would be appreciated. The pump is Hayward. Strips say chemicals are normal.

Re: Algae spots....advice

Welcome to TFP!

The answer is very, very simple. You have not had enough of an elvated free Chlorine residual for long enough. That's all. Meaning, you have not killed all the Algae in your pool, and it is coming back. That takes a lot of Chlorine for an extended period to get that done.

We use a procedure to "shock" a pool instead of a one and done (or not so much). We elevate the FC (Free Chlorine) UP, and hold it up until all the algae is dead, and the water is clear. It's called a SLAM procedure. Shock level and maintain. Your strips are not telling you the truth. One of our cornerstones is testing properly. You'll need a proper kit to do this, and a little knowledge. All that is here, and we are glad to help walk you through, if you want to learn how to do it.

I'm sorry to tell you, it won't be ready by Sunday. :(

We suggest two Kits, the TF100 from TF Testkits.net, or the Taylor K2006 at the same place, or other places like Amazon. In your situation, the TF100 is a better buy because it has the most reagents of the ones you use most. Pool stores will not have either one. Sorry. Your pool should be clear before you let anyone swim in it, but there isn't time for us to get you there by Sunday. I wish we could, but there simply isn't time. We base everything we do on solid test results, and you won't be able to have them soon enough. It sounds tough, but I'm sorry it's true.

Order a TF100 at tftestkits.net.Get the XL option.

We have a Dummies version. Its called Pool School. It has SLAM articles, Defeating Algae, pool math, ABC's of pool water chemistry. I don't want you to think I'm coming of harsh but if you don't read it, we can't help you. No one will come over to your house and be your pool boy from TFP. When we tell you you need to test FC, TC, CC, pH, TA, CH, CYA, you won't look at us like we've got 3 heads, 6 arms and no legs. You'll understand why were asking for it and what it is. So,please, read it and ask questions.

OK ok I will read it (whiny voice) but the pool boy sure seemed like a better idea. Lol. Thank you. You guys could possibly save my marriage. If my husband doesn't get my pool in shape he's gonna be in the doghouse. Shhhhh don't tell him I said that. I'm off to buy a kit and do a little reading. Questions to follow.

OK ok I will read it (whiny voice) but the pool boy sure seemed like a better idea. Lol. Thank you. You guys could possibly save my marriage. If my husband doesn't get my pool in shape he's gonna be in the doghouse. Shhhhh don't tell him I said that. I'm off to buy a kit and do a little reading. Questions to follow.

My hubby just gets to swim in our pool. If he's lucky, I'll let him flip the switch to power up the pump. :lol: And I'll admit, a pool boy doesn't sound to bad... :mrgreen:

Now get your head out of the skimmer n get to Pool School! :whip:

Could someone please give me the directions to pool school? I am using my android phone for the tap a talk app. Not sure if that's why I can't navigate it very well. I have looked everywhere on here and can't find anything that says pool school.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
WOohoo! Welcome to TFP!

You've come to the right place! With a little reading and a good test kit you'll be all set to start learning how to take care of your pool!

Wait until you see how easy it is..you're not gonna believe it.

At first it's going to be like walking in to a room full of people who are talking in another language. It can be overwhelming because it's a lot of information all at once... but...we're here to translate! ;-)

We really like teaching people. The more you're willing to learn, the more TFP will help you!

Read and learn. Ask and learn.

Take a deep breath and dive in. (To TFP, not a cloudy pool! Eww..)

You can do it!

My hubby just gets to swim in our pool. If he's lucky, I'll let him flip the switch to power up the pump. :lol: And I'll admit, a pool boy doesn't sound to bad... :mrgreen:

Now get your head out of the skimmer n get to Pool School! :whip:

Hubba, hubba! That pool boy can come work on my pool any time!

Until such time I guess I am stuck with me, myself, and I :( using my test kit.

It can be done and on the cheap with your own test kit.

Let us know when your test kit gets there and we will walk you through your tests and what to do.

Kim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.