Storing excess rain water collected from pool

Jul 30, 2011
San Jose, Ca
This past winter I had to pump out about 2 feet of excess rain water from our pool. Looking ahead to this coming fall/winter rain season, I want to collect and store some of the excess rain water (mixed with our pool water) by pumping it into a couple of 500 gallon plastic tanks. Like this one:

http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/3538/500-gallon-plastic-water-storage-tank-43101

The ideal would be to reuse the stored water for top off starting in May. However, in order to maintain the water I would need to keep it running for 5 months with a pump or keep the tanks in a shaded area and use additives. It appears the option to reuse a few months down the line as pool top off (keep water running) is out of the question. What additives can I use to prevent algae growth or other growths for reuse in the yards (lawn, fruit trees, rose bushes, vegetables, etc)?

Right now we are in a severe drought in all of California. Just thinking of ideas to conserve (save, collect) water on my part. Given the cost of the 2, 500 gallon tanks, they won't pay for themselves. Anyone want venture a guess of how much chlorine is needed to treat the water for say 5-6 months?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.