SLAMmin' and Jammin'

Jul 8, 2014
Pittsburg, KS
Ok, so I make the SLAM process seem amazing, when it should be avoided, but I couldn't help myself!

I started my SLAM 2 weeks ago today. I've made it from a Brown abyss to a nice aqua teal color! Ha!

It started because I was lazy and didn't close the pool last fall. I didn't get the cover on before the leaves fell, and I didn't take the time fish them out.

A few weeks ago I dove (pun intended!) back into this forum and did a LOT of reading. I've read through most all of the Green to Clean threads (that I can find anyway). I've purchased a leaf rake, and bunch of bleach. and a Taylor K-2006 test kit. The past 2 years, or since I've owned the pool, I've used the pucks, with moderate success.

With the knowledge from this site, and my new and superior test kit I assumed I would have a really high CYA, due to the pucks and occasional use of "shock". I was Shocked (again pun intended!) after my first round of tests:

FC 0 (no surprise)
CC .5 (a little surprised)
PH 7.4
TA 70
CH 250
CYA 0 (SHOCKED!)

I couldn't believe I didn't have ANY cya...
After further perusing of the forum, I'm under the impression that the leaves and debris I left in the pool all winter actually broke down the CYA and created ammonia (I think I have that correct anyway). The pool also seemed like a drunk sailor and was treating my bleach like a round of shots, and asking for another!

After a couple days I was finally able to get a FC reading! hooray!

Fast forward a couple weeks and here are my readings this morning. I'm only able to test and adjust 3 or 4 times a day. Once before work, then again when I get home, and then depending on the evenings activities 1 or 2 more times.

FC 20
CC 1
CYA approx 40

I added cya in a sock in front of the return jet on 4/26, so I won't get a good reading until 5/3. I was attempting to get to CYA of 30, but I was working with a 4600 gal measurement (14ft round by 4 ft depth), when in reality I found, after measuring a couple nights ago, the water is 13.5 round and 3.5 deep and only 3700 gals. And a couple of back washes later, I'm sure the cya is closer to 40, and that's what I calculating off of until Sunday.

FC 20
CC 1

I didn't add any bleach this morning since I'm 4pmm over the shock value. I'll test again around 4:30.

I was going to add pictures but, the file is too big... bummer

Looks like you're making progress! Good job getting a kit that can help you attack the pool. Now you're at the point where it's the little things that finish off a SLAM. Think like algae... for some of us it's easier than others. :p Thoroughly scrub those ladders, lights, ledges, skimmers, nooks and crannies.

The best way to post pictures is to upload them to a file/photo sharing website and link them to your posts here. See this tutorial by Leebo: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72545-Posting-Photo-s-Tutorial

Yesterday evening my Fc dropped to 13.5. So I added enough bleach to get me up to 20.

I'm running low on reagents so, I'm not testing cc at the moment and really prolly only testing once a day until my restock comes in. I know looking back at my past test results approx how bleach to add at what time of day. So, I'll estimate when I can't test.

This morning:
Fc 15

I bumped back up to Fc ~20

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Dadgum! I ran out of reagent this morning! My concoction was still very pink after 25 drops, so I know the FC is above 12.5!

- - - Updated - - -

You know, I guess the silver lining in this is. I made a mess out of this small pool, so it's not costing a fortune to clean it up. AND when I'm able to graduate to a big boy pool, I'll know how to take care of it. More especially, what NOT to do!

Ok, so I did the OCLT last night, just because I happened to test after dark, and usually test before the sun come up in the morn. I lost 6ppm over night. The water is cloudy, but seems to be clearing every day.

Thoughts on what could be consuming it?

May 5th

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.