low/no solar heat questions

chief_rocker

Jul 22, 2009
Ottawa, Ontario
I have a few panels on the roof, and a solar controller. My current pool temp is 16C (60F) and according to the solar controller the temp at the collectors is 28-31C (85F ish). When the solar kicks in the water from the return is still cold, I notice very little difference between the solar being on or off. The temp on the roof panels also hardly changes weather the solar panels are running or not. It was working well when I drained it for the winter.
I am looking for ideas on where to troubleshoot.
Thanks in advance.

Is there a valve to set the flow to and from the panels and is it set for 100% flow to the panels? What is the filter pressure and how are are the panels above the filter?

I just have the hayward 3 way valve that is controlled from the solar controller, and it is running to the panels. The pressure is about 14 according to the filter. The panels are on the 2nd story of my house, its about a 50' run of pipe to and from, the current outside temp is 20C, the panels are reading 34C. If that's not what you meant, let me know.
The reply in the middle about 2 different sides of the roof was another person.

14 PSI is a little low for a two story house. Is 14 PSI your normal pressure with solar?

When solar is running, do you feel the water coming out of the returns?

The temp on the roof panels also hardly changes weather the solar panels are running or not.
Does this mean they feel hot or cool?

I just opened for the summer, from what I remember its about what it was last year. My pressure bypassing the solar is 13, with solar on is 14.
The water feels slightly warmer than what is coming out of the return, definitely not a major noticeable difference.
I have not been on the roof, I don't have a ladder, and will need to borrow one to check up there.

The water shouldn't feel that much warmer, only a little bit. That means the panels are performing efficiently. When the water feels hot, the water flow is too low. Same with the panels. the panels should feel cool and not hot to the touch.

The temp on the roof panels also hardly changes weather the solar panels are running or not.
So did you mean the temperature sensor does not change? It shouldn't.

yes, that's what I meant, the sensor says 31 even thought the cooler water is coming down. When i first turn it on the water is quite a bit warmer. I had remembered it being much warmer during the summer last year, but maybe that's just because of where the sun sits in the sky and the ambient temperature being warmer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.