T-100 Test results - new pool

Apr 26, 2015
Jax, FL
Vinyl AG pool - just under 8,000 gallons

calcium - 250 ppm
alkalinity - 120 ppm
cya - not registering yet - dosed the pool about 3 days ago to get it up to 40ppm
fc - 2.5 ppm
cc - 1 ppm
tc - 3.5 ppm

I followed all the directions with testing - hopefully results are accurate. Also, the SWG was hooked up and started yesterday. The taylor salt test registered at 3,000 ppm. I haven't checked the FC since the SWG has been turned on.

So how are these numbers?? I'm not quite sure what to do with them? Thanks!

calcium - 250 ppm
alkalinity - 120 ppm
cya - not registering yet - dosed the pool about 3 days ago to get it up to 40ppm
fc - 2.5 ppm
cc - 1 ppm
tc - 3.5 ppm

I followed all the directions with testing - hopefully results are accurate. Also, the SWG was hooked up and started yesterday. The taylor salt test registered at 3,000 ppm. I haven't checked the FC since the SWG has been turned on.

What is your PH?

calcium - 250 ppm
alkalinity - 120 ppm
cya - not registering yet - dosed the pool about 3 days ago to get it up to 40pp

fc - 2.5 ppm
cc - 1 ppm
tc - 3.5 ppm

You want CC to be .5 or less
FC needs to be brought up
It takes a little while to see a rise in CYA. Did you use granular CYA or Liquid conditioner?
You may also want to bring down your PH from 7.6 to about 7.2 in case you need to SLAM. How does your water look?

I am still new at this, but I know someone else will chime in too on the other numbers.

Water looks crystal clear. Chlorinator is running so hopefully today and tomorrow's testing will show a rise in the FC. I was wondering why the CC was at 1. I'm unsure how to deal with that. Also, as far as ph...should I just wait and test a bit more to figure that out or just go ahead and dose it down? Thanks!

Leave your pH alone for now. It will likely slowly rise on it's own.....reduce it if gets to 8.0

Your CC of 1 just might be a transient thing that'll go away with a little more chlorine and sunlight. If it was my pool, I would add enough bleach to get your FC up around 6-10 ppm. I believe that extra FC will help "burn off" the 1 CC reading down to an acceptable .5 or 0 ppm.

Test your CYA again in about 3-4 more days. If you get what you dosed (around 40 ppm) add enough to bring it to 60-70.

Hopefully, you will be all set. Consult the FC/CYA chart for the maintenance levels of CYA and FC for your pool.

Water looks crystal clear. Chlorinator is running so hopefully today and tomorrow's testing will show a rise in the FC. I was wondering why the CC was at 1. I'm unsure how to deal with that. Also, as far as ph...should I just wait and test a bit more to figure that out or just go ahead and dose it down? Thanks!

I am not sure but hopefully someone else will see this and be able to tell you. Maybe run another test this afternoon and post the numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

In the meantime you could explore the pool school tab. There is a lot of information there.

Ok thanks everyone for the advice. Chlorine generator has run about 4 hours yesterday and today so I will run out and test levels here pretty soon to see where they are at - and check ph too. So this may be a redundant question...but it's safe to swim with these numbers right?? Thanks in advance!!

- - - Updated - - -

Ok...and one more quick question...are there any conditions or numbers I need to be watching out for that would indicate it's NOT ok to swim?? I have 3 kiddos - thanks again!

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and LOVING my T-100 kit so far - very easy to use!

You want CC to be .5 or less
FC needs to be brought up
It takes a little while to see a rise in CYA. Did you use granular CYA or Liquid conditioner?
You may also want to bring down your PH from 7.6 to about 7.2 in case you need to SLAM. How does your water look?

I am still new at this, but I know someone else will chime in too on the other numbers.

I forgot to add that my CYA added was granular. I don't think I will need to slam - just need to get my FC up some more. Off to test now! Thanks again!

Salt water chlorine generators produce chlorine slowly and steadily. When you want (need!) to raise chlorine quickly to avoid algae you can dose it with household bleach, using the PoolMath app (under PoolSchool link above) to determine how much. Then let the SWG take over. This also helps lengthen the life of the SWG by not having to put it on high output for extended periods.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great job getting a TF100!

Here is the water balance for Water Balance for SWCGs.

You need to keep your FC above 3 at all times and target 4 based on the Chlorine CYA Chart. If you let your FC drop below 3 then algae will start to grow. Which will consume your chlorine even faster.

Thanks for pointing me back to the SWG water balance page. I had forgotten about that one. I tested today and FC was again 2.5 but CC had dropped from 1 to .5 which I thought was good. Ph seems to be climbing..it's between 7.5-7.8 now. I will dose according to poolmath to get FC back up to 4. CYA levels in the pool should be around 40. Hasn't been 5 days yet so CYA not showing more than 25 on test. Should I go ahead and add more CYA tonight? Or wait until it shows up on a test probably this weekend? Also, do I need to dose with acid to get the ph level down? Thanks so much! ...Oh, and after adding these things...how long do we wait to swim? Just curious as we were hoping to swim tomorrow too. I just don't know how long is safe to wait.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and how will I be able to tell if there is algae growth starting? Is there a test for algae growth??

Going to add CYA tonight in sock in skimmer to get it up to 70. Also dosing the chlorine up to 5 as well. Can we swim tomorrow lol? Thinking all that CYA won't be even close to dissolved overnight? We need to add 30 oz by weight...how do you all fit all that in a sock? And how would you measure that by volume?? Just a measuring cup? HELP!

Yes, a measuring cup is good. Might need 2 socks. You can tie a string on the sock and hang it in front of the water return. It will probably dissolve a little faster that way. Going to 5 in FC is fine.

Yes, you can swim tomorrow. Ph is good, water is clear and FC is below shock level. You can definitely swim.

Your ph will tend to rise because your TA is high and SWG also tends to make it rise. So, keep an eye on it and lower it when it gets to 7.8.

After you get settled in you can lower your TA as follows, Lowering Total Alkalinity

- - - Updated - - -

To calculate the gallons in your pool in PoolMath there is a pool volume calculator toward the bottom. I used 13x21x4 and got 7100 gallons. Monitor your chemical additions to validate that your pool does what poolmath says it will do. If not adjust your pool gallons.

Also, it would help,you emensly if you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and become acquainted with the other articles in Pool School.

Ok my husband is concerned to let the kiddos swim because a lot of the CYA we put in the sock in the skimmer last night is still in the sock, and not dissolved into the water yet. Just wanted to make sure that swimming was ok with the sock in the skimmer still with the pump running? I have read a ton on pool school but haven't seen anything on this issue. I will go back and re-read to make sure I'm not missing anything. Kids are waiting with suits and suncreen on, LOL!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.