New pool: Design Phase - Advice on Equipment, Please

SoonerWing

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 27, 2015
Tuttle/Oklahoma
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xr73uitYhbE&feature=em-upload_owner

In my mind we were going to remove the tree and move the septic tank & lines (~$7,000) and center the pool with the house. However, if we do it as in the link, we could just move the lines and leave the tank where it is and save the tree. Interested in thought on having a tree (Deodar Cedar) that close to the pool. I am sure it will out grow the space in 10 years or so but what is the risk to the structural integrity of the pool?

House%20tree_zpskur3vnpm.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Any other general thoughts and suggestions on the pool design and layout (SEE LINK AT TOP)?

Builder is including the following items: (no specific brands or model numbers included but all handouts in the binder are Pentair)
Concrete Shell
Concrete Steps
Brick Coping
Ceramic Tile
White Plaster Finish
Swim Out
3' Concrete Deck (others include 4')
(2) skimmers
dual main drains
Return inlets
PVC Plumbing
White Light
Filter and Pump
Safety Rope
Wall Brush and Leaf Net
Vacuum Head and Vacuum Hose
Telescopic Pole
Test Kit
All Construction Material
Rough Grading of yard
Pool Permit
Diving Board

Re: New pool: Design Phase

That is a great pool design! Love it. I would definitely take out that tree, too close to the house and too close to the pool. I doubt there is any risk to the structural integrity of the pool. But, there is probably some risk to the pool deck.

It is hard to tell the size of your yard from the photo, but have you considered moving the pool out away from the house a bit if you have the space? It seems majority of the new pools we see constructed are placed close to the house (10-20 ft, sometimes less), however there is nothing to keep you from moving the pool a bit away from the living spaces if you have room in the yard. Each approach has advantages and disadvantages the question is which is right for you.

I have roughly 110' from the back of the house to the tree's/property line. However, I want to keep it as close to the house as possible because the boys use the flat area at the back of the property to play football, baseball, soccer, etc...

20150416_115304_zpsapjchhou.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back%20Yard_zpsvfgbpm9n.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Your plan shows a bit of extra cement down below the pool- do you see yourselves sitting below the pool over having the extra cement placed near the house? If it were my pool, I'd enlarge the area nearer the house and lessen it below the raised edge of the pool.

I love that you're making it deep enough for diving!! I'm jealous.

I agreed - I would move it out a little and move the concrete between the pool and the home, it will make it easier to socialize with those in the pool and give more of a social space around the pool...

Curious why you are using brick for the coping. It's kind of old fashioned for residential pools. You see it on community, public pools though. The specifications you list are very, very vague. It gives the PB a lot of room to put in whatever they want

That's the plan. There won't be any concrete on the back. It will all be between the house and on the side since we have a tiny patio as it is. Probably do a pergola or something on the right side (facing the house)

Love the pool design.

I agree with pooldv regarding the tree. Way to close to the house. I am in the process of building a pool - dig starts the weekend. Had to delay the dig because a small tornado (with hail and heavy winds) blew through my neighborhood Sat morning. Lots of trees damaged and almost every tree lost their leaves. Thankfully no damage to my house, but I will be spending this weekend cutting down 2 trees that are about 10-15 ft away from the house. If they had come down on the house it might have been bad.

I was kind of in the same situation with my septic system. But there was not a reasonable place to move the septic so I just rerouted the lateral lines. My pool with not be centered with the house, but my wife does not care, thus, I do not care :)

Curious why you are using brick for the coping. It's kind of old fashioned for residential pools. You see it on community, public pools though. The specifications you list are very, very vague. It gives the PB a lot of room to put in whatever they want

Planning to do rock, not brick. Yes I will nail down specifics for each. This was the first PB we have met with so we are very interested to see what the others come up with and hopefully combine our favorite parts of each. :)

How important is keeping the pool in the sun? The pool will be on the east side of the house so the more centered it is the more shade the pool will have. I can see that being good and bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

How important is keeping the pool in the sun? The pool will be on the east side of the house so the more centered it is the more shade the pool will have. I can see that being good and bad.

Great question! Our pool gets less than 2 hours of full sun and less than 8 hours of sun on the pool as it moves across the pool. Which is fantastic because you can spend all day in the pool with no sun screen and no sunburn. But, the pool does not heat up as much as we want. Now, we like our pool warm, 85 min and 90 preferred. We had to install solar panels after the first season because it wasn't warm enough. Not just May and Oct, but even in July and Aug sometimes, especially if it rained. Nothing cools a pool like some cold rain! The solar panels do a great job of keeping temp in the upper 80s Jun-early Sep and a quick recovery from a cold rain. But, not always in May and late Sep/Oct. We are considering installing a heat pump to make May and Oct guaranteed swimming months.

Getting sun all morning and early afternoon could be pretty good with the shade starting in mid-late afternoon. Then you can move to the shady side if your getting too much sun in the intense afternoon sun.

Fun video - first time I've seen a pool rendering video! It's a nice design, and I like the activities it supports!

Love, love, love your property! You have a wonderful setting for your pool.

Are you interested in PebbleSheen or similar for the pool finish?

Can you post a photo of the pool design? I'm lazy and keep needing to go back to the video.

As for the tree... I'm not a fan of Cedar trees. The cedars we have in SE Texas are a nuisance. That was my only blessing in moving away from Austin. I got away from the cedars and awful allergies!

I can't wait to watch your build! Take care! Suz.

Thanks for posting the picture of the design. That's a great size, and looks like fun with the diving board and sun deck. I love the upper and lower decks - gives it character! Does the family in the design come with the pool? If so, a dog might be nice to add! Just kidding - or had you already guessed?!

The experts will chime in on your specs. I'm just the fluff commentator. Take care! Suz.

Thanks for posting the picture of the design. That's a great size, and looks like fun with the diving board and sun deck. I love the upper and lower decks - gives it character! Does the family in the design come with the pool? If so, a dog might be nice to add! Just kidding - or had you already guessed?!

The experts will chime in on your specs. I'm just the fluff commentator. Take care! Suz.

Thanks for commenting Suz. I always enjoy reading your posts!!!! :)

To get more specific advice on the equipment, I would add to your title "Need help with Equipment".

Some of the equipment guys may pass by your thread thinking you're more about the design (shape, etc) rather than the equipment. Or... Those guys are all busy working on their equipment for opening season!!

I don't remember how to edit the title (it will change all your posts to the new one). But go to FAQ and search Title. That should do it

Later you can change your title again - if you want.

Take care. Suz.

I will add some personal input to your equipment list. It is just an opinion, tho, so make your pool the way you want it.

1. I am not a huge fan of VS pumps but I am a huge fan of 2-speeds. A two speed will pay you back quickly, a VS will probably never unless you have EXCEPTIONALLY high electric rates.

2. That's a nice filter. Big filters really help hold down your maintenance and I hear good things about this design here on the forum.

3. LED lights are all the rage. Folks report the lighting is not as intense as the old style incandescent.

I will add some personal input to your equipment list. It is just an opinion, tho, so make your pool the way you want it.

1. I am not a huge fan of VS pumps but I am a huge fan of 2-speeds. A two speed will pay you back quickly, a VS will probably never unless you have EXCEPTIONALLY high electric rates.

2. That's a nice filter. Big filters really help hold down your maintenance and I hear good things about this design here on the forum.

3. LED lights are all the rage. Folks report the lighting is not as intense as the old style incandescent.

Thank you duraleigh, those are exactly the sort of opinions I am looking for. Can you explain your stance on 2-speed vs VS?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.