Another Ike victim

xene97

LifeTime Supporter
Well, Ike has come and gone and left us without power since around 2am Saturday morning. According to Centerpoint (the electrical provider), we may get power back by Monday. Needless to say the pool is a mess with no power to drive the pump and the Polaris.

I managed to scoop up most of the leaves from the bottom or the pool and am dumping 1-2 gallons of bleach in each day (trying to keep the chlorine levels high to fight the gunk). My only problem is that since my CYA and CH were running a little high I decided to drain off a couple of inches from the pool and let the rain water replinish it. Unforunately I got a phone call from work and totally forgot about everything for the next hour. My pool is now 12-16" low so I have no idea how many gallons are now in the pool.

So my question is, do I just continue randomly dumping bleach in? And if so, how much?

Since you don't say how many gals your pool is, hard to tell. I looked back on your posts and couldn't find it. If your house water is clear, I would add some; at least past the bottom of the skimmer so the skimmer will work. IMHO, keep adding chlorine but do it slowly and mix it in a pail of pool water first and then put it evenly around the pool. Maybe mix a quart of bleach with a pail of water and then pour it slowly around and throw it into the center of ther pool.

Question you didn't ask but I will answer. Turn off the electrical breakers in the main breaker box to anything with a motor on that circuit. Also, turn off any breaker with TVs or other electronic equiptment on that circuit and turn off any breaker going to your pool. When power comes back on, wait a half an hour then turn on one breaker at a time. If it comes back on at night, you'll see your neighbor's house lit up. On your pool pump, it's better to turn it on when you are there instead of having it come on when you are busy doing something else.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope everyone is ok.

After being without power for 5 days after a major wind storm in Dec 2006 in the Seattle area, I can sympathize with you. At least you have internet access.

I am sure the pool will be fine after you get power back and it up and running.

Good Luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.