Chlorine testing for SWG Pool

Propbndr

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 26, 2015
Charles City, Va
Is there a way to test the daily total chlorine level in a SWG pool? With a CYA of 75 to 80 the recommended FC level is 5 to 6. I have the TF100 kit but, the OTO test only goes up to 5. Daily testing using the FAS/DPD will tell me but, it will rapidly use up my reagents.

Daily testing using the FAS/DPD will tell me but, it will rapidly use up my reagents.
but if you need that precision, that's the correct way to do it.

Costwise, there are about 100 scoops of DPD powder and 1440 drops of R-871 (about 90 some tests with an FC of 7.5). So, perhaps 100 complete tests using the FAS/DPD component in the kit or about 16 cents for each test.

Steve, after a while, you'll be able to tell what your pool does. Once you can predict with good accuracy what your FC readings will be, You can test every other day or even two. This will change a little with bather load, peak summer time weather etc...but you will get to know your pool, and be able to know exactly what it's doing under most conditions. At first, and until you have a really good feel for it, the FAS/DPD testing really wont cost you much. It will pay for itself many times over when it keeps you out of the pool store or whatever.

What I do is to use the full FAS-DPD test once a week. That test is used to see if the percentage needs adjusting on the SWG. Then the rest of the week I use the OTO chlorine test as an easy way to make sure that nothing is going completely wrong. If the OTO test reads 5, then I assume everything is fine. But if OTO reads less than 5 it is time to do a FAS-DPD test and figure out what is going wrong.

A couple more tips...

Use the 10 mil sample instead of the 25 mil sample.

Also, in most cases you can use 1 scoop of powder instead of 2; as long as the sample turns pink, 1 scoop is fine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The discreteness of the results. That test reads in large ranges.

if you own a salt pool (which i do) , owning the higher level test seems to make more sense. i was pretty much able to say my water was at 6 (estimation of colors) and confirmed with the FAS/DPD that i was at 5.8.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.