probs with pb and they never signed/dated the contract

outdoorsgal

LifeTime Supporter
Jan 24, 2015
Phoenix, AZ
trying to get a date on how long it's been since we signed the contract (it's been since march 21) and i noticed that pc didn't sign or date the contract. does this make the contract null and void? they have our $1k and have since had change orders, but since they r all electronic the signature is just a typed name. i called the city to ask about grading and elevation issues and they told me that a permit was never pulled. the pb told us they were going to dig this week and now they're telling us we need to raise the pool. they never told us that before and it's causing probs and will cost more $. i want to try and work this out but they say they're under water on our pool already since they missed other things. if i point out that they didn't sign the contract can they then just get out of the contract? do i need their signature to make it valid for future warranty issues? they are a big company, top 2 or 3 in AZ and have a good name. communication hasn't been the greatest, hard to get things in writing... frustrating experience so far. i want to give them the benefit of the doubt and hope that if we came to an agreement on these things that the build would go ok since i caught the mistakes up til now and will be establishing better boundaries with them like demanding more things in writing... thanku

If you have barely started and have this many doubts, I would suggest you bail out ASAP and start over. Having a reasonable degree of faith in your PB is essential........you're off to a bad start.

I agree with Dave. If they are underwater because they missed things I the quote they shouldn't have any problems with voiding the contract and everyone going their own ways.

I'm sure if you push the issue of the signature the copy they have in their file is signed. It's probably time to talk with the highest person in the food chain you can talk to.

i hear ya and i suspected i'd get that advice. they have one of the bet reputations so i hate to bail yet. we r meeting tomorrow and hubbie will finally be involved. i've been doing it all myself up til now. i can't imagine they won't do a pretty good job once they get the job going. i only had one other pb that i was considering but they cost more and the job would likely slow by another mth by a minimum. they always talk about wanting to keep a good reputation since they don't want bad reviews and say the customer comes first. the way i'm looking at any changes that are necessary overall is that i could force them to do them since they r not in the contract like many people say "it's not my problem that they messed up" but if they would've told me ahead of time i would've still built the pool. if they can split some difference with me for the extreme hassle and time it's costing me to make changes so late in the game i'd probably be ok with that. ultimately if i start over i'll have to get the same things with someone else, anyway. my hope is that i'm catching things before the fact instead of afterwards like i hear of often times. it's a big company so when i questions something it often times has to go through someone else before it gets taken care of so each time i question something it slows the job. i know someone else getting their pool built by the same company right now. they said it took a bit to dig it but once they started digging it's going fast. i called the city and they said it takes about a week to get a permit.

interesting info for anyone who is interested. in AZ the registrar of contractors gets involved up til 2 yrs after the job was completed. after that if there's a problem and there was a warranty issue they don't help. i imagine it's a legal issue at that time. one of the reasons i went with this company was because of their longer and some and more thorough warranties so i'm considering this, too. thx!

Sorry you are going through this. I would tend to agree with the conclusion this may not be a good building foundation so to speak. The big issue you have now is whether or not they are going to make it right and refund your $1000 deposit or you are willing to walk away from it.

I suspect they are going cry like little school children that they are into this job more than $1000 at this point and refuse to give you your money. After all, they have your signature on the contract and you are refusing to let them perform..... yada yada.

Just ask them why they haven't pulled the permits and tell them you have lost all confidence and don't want to be put in the position of telling your friends, relatives and neighbors about your experience and disappointment.

Good luck.

If they are underwater already you may not be for quite awhile. Lol.
Seriously though, if it's not going well now it will likely get worse rather than better as you go. You shouldn't have to catch things but unfortunately this is the case with most pool contractors. They seem to try and get away with whatever they can and when you point it out they grow less and less responsive in my limited experience. If they do have a good reputation they may try a little harder to keep it.
Expect extra charges to,pop up so they can cover whatever they missed. Often the work will be done first and charge later.its a frustrating experience at best.
Good luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.