Hayward Heater Auto Standby?

Feb 7, 2015
Palm Springs
Hi everyone. I have a new Hayward ng heater 400k btu. I also have pool automation through iAqualink.

I set the temp to not heat for several days since it wasnt going to be in use. Today i turned on the mantain heat schedule. I checked the iAqualink app and saw that it was still on, but temp was not going up, which can only mean one thing: the heater is in standby mode (i know this because it happened before when a guest messed with it.) But, no guest had been there, so no one messed with it this time. Does it automatically go into standby mode if not used for several days? If so any way to rake this setting off? Its impossible for me to heat my pool remotlet now because someone now has to physically go there to take the heater out of standby mode...

The heater should only stop being able to heat if someone changes the front panel settings or if one of the safety systems triggers. It is very difficult to change a front panel setting by accident.

Unfortunately, the only way I can think of to get any more information about what happened is to go examine the heater in person.

I am assuming that You have a H400FD model. Going into standby can happen if the heater is wired for what is called a three wire control and the heater is not put into what is called BO operation. For the control you have it should be wired for a 2 wire control and put into BO operation. I have included a link to the installation and owners manual and this information is on page 30 of the installation manual.

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/UniversalH-seriesLowNOx-HxxxFDService&Installation.pdf

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/manuals/UniversalH-seriesLowNOx-HxxxFDOwners.pdf

If needed private message you phone number and I will call. I will then post what transpired here.

It was in BO operation and working perfectly. Could be controlled by my phone with iaqualink. However, guests would mess with the heater to try to increase the heat, etc. So i had my pool guy put a cover over the panel so it couldnt be played with...worked great. Then, we had no guests for about 1 week so i turned off the mantain temp setting on the automation and just ran the pump for a few hrs per day. Now i try to turn on heater again and its not geating the pool...which means its on standby so it must have automatically went into standby mode...
Guess ill have my pool guy look into it and call Hayward to see how to stop this from happening next time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.