Several Compool CVA-24T actuators keep failing

Apr 30, 2015
Las Vegas NV
My pool has 4 Compool CVA-24T valve actuators and keep having several failures. Have an actuator for spa inflow, spa outflow, solar, and waterfall. I put the automation system in 3 years ago so it's relatively new.

My solar actuator failed twice, which I replaced both times. Thought I fixed it where the solar temperature sensor was in wrong place which caused the solar actuator to constantly turn on/off all day long. After that had no failures until a year later. Now this year my spa inflow actuator failed so replaced it and spa outflow actuator is getting flakey which is the beginning sign that it will need be replaced. By flakey mean they sporadically stop turning then after giving system a rest next day they work again until a few months later they fail permanently.

Before replacing I check the switch on the actuator, try both directions, and nothing. Even try swapping around the connectors into my Pentair automation system board to make sure it's not the automation system.

So is this common and just the cost of doing business? Just doesn't sound right that am going on 4 failures in 3 years. Are these actuators just junk and should be using a different brand? My pool guy said they are good and should just avoid the Goldline actuators. I read here that I should check the wires for 24VAC which didn't do previously and will do next time. Other than that is there anything else that I should check? Is there yearly maintenance that I should be doing on these actuators such as opening them up and lubing them (they supposed to be maintenance free)?

Welcome to TFP!

Valve actuators do fail now and then, but at a way lower rate than what you described.

The only thing that comes to mind is that you might have something somewhere that is abrading the wire between the actuator and the control panel. Damage to that wire will stop the actuator from working.

Yeah I'm not sure what they have done, probably even cheaper china parts, but way too many of these going bad in a short period of time. Why do companies mess up a good thing to save a buck and then in the long wrong it costs them more.

Next time fails I'll check the wires using voltmeter. Didn't see damage externally to wires but they are buried under desert landscaping rocks so maybe causes issues but seen tons of landscaping wires buried in same fashion which have never had issues with.

Bet cheap parts is the culprit as before my spa inflow actuator failed permanently it made a pant load of noise while turning. Now the outflow actuator is starting to exhibit this noise and often turns a hair too far causing spa to slowly drain.

I'm using the right actuators? Better choice out there?

All of the actuators are very similar and are interchangeable. Aside from the recent batches of Pentair units with issues, there hasn't been any obvious reliability differences between the different brands.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.