I have a (new) leaking solar pool water system on my roof.

Chuckiechan

Jun 10, 2014
Roseville, CA
I had a roof re done, and had the pool water solar system removed and reinstalled by a solar company in Sacramento that does installs, etc.

The panels are fine, as are most of the pipes, except on one section where it keeps leaking. It's a "pipe up" and a "pipe down" right before and after the roof jacks. They have been out at least twice fixing it, and when I turned it on the other day - first time this year - it leaks like a sieve. It's ABS pipe. He says he's using the right sealant. There must be three or four individual joints leaking.

It's out of warranty - one year- but I'm going to see if he'll come back and fix it. But I don't have high hopes.

I think people use ABS because it's black and looks better, and the original installer used it and it worked fine for at least 8 years with out leaking a drop.

I'm planning to redo it my self if I have to.

What do I have to do to insure it works? Is Oatey Black the correct stuff? I suspect he is using a "transition cement", and it's failing.

BTW, even a tiny leak is unacceptable, because it will eat away my new rain gutters in a year or two.

Thanks in advance...

Oatey Black is suitable for ABS to ABS joints. It is not alright for ABS to PVC joints. For ABS to PVC joints you want to use something like Oatey ABS To PVC Transition Green Cement.

If done properly these joints will never leak, so something was being done wrong. However, it is not so easy to say what specific mistake was made.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.