New pool build by owner Miami FL

dfons

Feb 21, 2015
miami, fl
Hi all, been reading a lot on here lately. So much useful information, glad this site exists. Just started a pool build by owner 2 weeks ago. Will post pics up soon. So far excavation and steel/main drain are complete. Today they will complete the pool piping for the spa and the bonding. Planning for shotcrete on Monday.

I do have one question that I have not been able to find an answer to. Most skimmers caps that I see on friends pools are very close to the coping. They end up cutting just slightly into the 12" coping to fit the cap. Is there an extension that I can install so that the skimmer is a little further from the pool edge (longer throat on skimmer), so I won't have to cut into the coping and can just cut into the deck. I just don't love the look of the skimmer cap cutting slightly into the coping and hoping I can move it back a little more. I currently have a hayward skimmer installed, but wouldn't mind changing it or adapting to it before Monday.

The coping and deck will be either travertine or limestone. We want a cantilivered look, where the coping is bw 2-3 in thick. The deck will either be pavers on sand or tile on crete. Still trying to find the matl/color we are looking for (light color). That will likely be covered in a future post on this thd.

Dennis

Welcome to TFP!!

I don't have an answer for the long throat skimmer, but we do have some representatives from manufacturers who participate here. Hayward Pool is one off the top of my head.

You may PM them, or edit your thread title to something they may pick up on easier and answer the question.

Looking forward to sme photos.

My pool has a coping that is 9" length, from the bull nose to the flat back side. The coping is positioned so that the bull nose is past the finished interior (tile face) of the pool by 1.5". This lined up the 8" pool shell with the back of the coping and the beginning of the deck.

My skimmer, a Hayward Skim-Master. The instructions are for models SP1070-SP1071. The manual lists the throat length as 5.5" for both SP1070 and SP1071 series skimmers. The difference in SP1070 and SP1071 is the pipe threading (1.5" for SP1070 and 2" for SP1071).

My specific model is SP-1070FLA, which is listed as a "Florida Special Thread" model. No idea what makes it "special".

If you went this route, I would think for your size pool you would want the SP-1071 which has a 55 GPM max flow rate vs. the 36 GPM on the SP1070.

Here is the skimmer positioning for my pool.

IMG_2063-XL.jpg

And from the rough plumbing stage. The pool shell is 8" thick.

IMG_1798-XL.jpg

HD, that's how I want mine to look. However, w/ the 12" coping and inserting it into the pool the same 1.5", the skimmer will interfere w/ the coping.

Tim, thx for the heads up. I reached out to Hayward Pool via PM. Hope they have a sol'n.

Anyone else have some ideas?

Pentair Admiral series skimmer have two throat length options, short throat is 8 7/8" and long throat is 13 1/2" . Can't really tell if it's a fixed length or an insert where the throat length is adjustable. They just the two different throat's as separate parts like they are options.

Sorry took a break from this forum. Seems like the 13.5" skimmer is for vinyl pools. HDClown, I had my framer move the skimmer to the outside of the pool wall as your picture shows. He had it pretty far into the wall. I should be good now.

Shotcrete (no issues) and backfill complete. Was not happy w/ the backfill, so had him come back and redo it. He filled too much at one time and I found some areas that were not packed well.

Onto plumbing this week. Which leads to my next question. The air blower mfr recommends a Hartford loop. My spa walls are under the waterline by about an inch, so I can't put the loop in the spa walls. I won't be able to put the loop until it gets near my equipment pad, nearly 150' away. Mfr suggested upsizing to 2hp blower to compensate for long distance. I just want to make sure I won't have issues down the line. Any have a spa w/o Hartford loop and have no issues w/ water in air line?

Some pics of build progress....

20150416_171832.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Shoot. Looks like pics are too large and won't upload. Will have to compress and try later...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.