solar pool cover

mayooo

Apr 29, 2015
pleasanton/CA
I need to purchase solar cover for my in-ground pool ( kind of first season ) pool is irregular a kidney shape. I need it for warming the water and for lower evaporation rate ( we are in draught and water is being limited ) I also need to purchase a manual roller. Do I buy bigger cover and cut to shape. what recommendations you have.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes, you get a larger cover and then cut it to shape.

I recommend getting one of the thinner, lighter, less expensive covers. Covers rarely last more than two years, even if you get the fancier kinds. So it isn't really worth spending a lot of money on a fancier one. The less expensive covers are also easier to handle.

I have a kidney shaped pool and couldn't figure out how to use a roller with it. Ended up cutting in 3 sections and attaching 1.25" PVC to each and manually rolling. My 12 gauge cover lasted about 1.5 years, just installed a 14 gauge. They're all junk. Wrinkles never seem to flatten, a few broken pockets grow algae, seams suck air into the wrinkles... just a pain. Thinking about not using one, but they sure do save water! You'd think someone would make a better cover. Also thinking about just using that liquid stuff, but that seems like snake oil to me.

Anyone tried something like this? http://www.recreonics.com/thermal_pool_covers.htm

Really? I can cover lagoon shaped pool without any issues.
Half the pool has coping at pool level, the other half is +2 feet with steps at each end. You can kind of see from this picture.
P7OHagsp

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.