Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover Pump

1. Back To Top    #1

Cover Pump

Has anyone heard of or used one of these:
    http://www.epoolshop.com/swimlinecovers ... npump.aspx

Also, what else is everyone using if not one of the above?

Thanks
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Cover Pump

You can always use a garden hose to siphon off the water. There are also small .X HP pumps available, look around and see what's out there (which I guess is why you're asking here ) and how 'care free' you want it to be (siphoning can be done manually but some pumps turn themselves on and off as the water level dictates).

I hope some of this is partially helpful and that others will chime in with what they use.
    Luv& Luk
    -Ted

Having done construction and service for 4 pool companies in 4 states starting in 1988, what I know about pools could fill a couple of books - what I don't know could fill a couple of libraries :-D

POOL SCHOOL, TF Testkits, Jason's Pool Calculator, CYA vs. cl chart, (Just a few DARNED handy links!)

3. Back To Top    #3

I have one of those cover pumps.Works very good.I left mine on the cover all winter, and when ever water was on the cover you just pump the bulb a couple of times and it drains the cover.
    15x30x54 AGP, Hayward 1hp 2 spd pump, cartridge filter, Royal Entrance steps,Pool Rover Jr

4. Back To Top    #4

Does it drain almost all of the water? How does it work? Does it suck all around the bottom disk or is just the middle?

Thanks Waste and Jet4
    21' Round AGP, 10k gallons - 2hp 2spd pump - 300lb sand filter - Stenner Chlorine Injector - Pool Rover

5. Back To Top    #5

I use one similar to this pump. I weight down the cover end of the hose with a big nut or something similar to keep it submerged, and added a longer length of hose on the other end so I can drain the water a bit farther away from the pool.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"

6. Back To Top    #6

That looks like a easy cheap option. Does it drain most of the water?

Thanks Mike

7. Back To Top    #7

Yep, it sure does. You may have to move the hose around a bit on the cover, as the water tends to collect in puddles, but once you drain down one puddle, just move the hose to the next one, get the water siphoning via the pump, and leave it till the the hose loses prime. You won't get all of the water off of the cover, but you'll get 95% of it or more.
    24' x 52" AGP - approx 13,500 gallons
    Pentair Optiflo 1 hp/2sp pump w/ Swimpro Voyager 150 sq ft cartridge filter
    Intex 8110 SWCG
    "Fear the Schnauz!"