Cyanuric Acid Question

BCannon

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2012
Bowling Green, KY
Just opened our pool and did a full range of tests using my kit. I understand everything except the cyanuric acid piece. When conducting my CYA test, it appears that my CYA is zero because the water was clear and I could easily see the black dot in the bottom of the tube. The cyanuric acid that the I bought last year clearly states 35% cyanuric acid (liquid form - conditioner). Based on what I am reading, I should avoid the 35% cyanuric acid product correct? The pool calculator states that I will need 160 oz or 10 lbs to take my CYA level from 0 to 40. That seems like a lot and seemingly would take forever to slowly administer via a sock. Please advise. I am not opposed to buying liquid cyanuric acid (even though it is more expensive) but I cannot find 100% cyanuric acid in liquid form anywhere. Please advise and thank you in advance.

You have a fairly large pool. It really doesn't take that long via sock if you give it a squeeze every now and then to help it along. Personally I'd stick with the solid.

My bigger problem would be finding socks without holes........ I'm usually in boat shoes.

There is no such thing as 100% liquid cyanuric acid. Cyanuric acid is a solid at room temperature.

There is no point in getting the liquid because it is expensive and you don't get any real advantages for that extra money.

You have a fairly large pool, so you need a fairly large amount of cyanuric acid.

You can add 10 lbs through a sock in a single skimmer in roughly two or three days, half that time if you have two skimmers. That is hardly forever, and you don't need to be there watching it dissolve, so really not much of an issue.

I actually have 4 skimmers. Should I put the socks inside the skimmer box? I've read that it should hang in front of the skimmer entry. How do you do this? What is used typically to weight the end of the sock to keep it in correct position.

Also, one follow up question. I have 4 bottles of the conditioner (35% cyanuric acid). How do I know how much of this to add - the pool calculator doesn't address this. What is the preferred method of adding this (somewhat liquid) substance to the pool?

Again, thank you for your feedback.

The first numbers in poolmath for weight/volume 160oz is for granular stabilizer and the next number 415oz is liquid stabilizer. Pour liquid in front of a pool return while the pump is running. It is fine to use up the liquid that you have left over.

Putting the sock in the skimmer basket or in front of the skimmer or in front of a return jet are all good options. To hang the sock over the edge of the pool most people tie a string to it and put a rock or paver on the string.

I took my 24k gallon pool from zero to 35 in two separate doses over the course of two weeks. I wasn't in any hurry with the cooler weather and rain. The first dose I just put the double sock in the skimmer. The second time around I put it in front of the return jet. I think the return jet does a faster job of getting the CYA in the pool. BG temps in the mid 80s next week could get you close to swim time.

Go Tops!

A normal tube sock will hold about 4 pounds of CYA. I lay mine down in the skimmer against the back wall. Let it soak for a day, then massage it a bit and you'll see all the white milky stuff running out. Remember it can take several days to register all the CYA on the test, so don't over-do it.

I have 3 girls in my house hold, I use old "leggings" from dance as a pool sock, cut them as long as you want. They are pretty sturdy also, on my 3rd season with them, can get a lot of CYA in a full leg!! Ha I usually let it sit in skimmer more than one skimmer if I have a lot, for a hr or so then it swells up pretty big then squeeze till gone every half hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Personally, I prefer the liquid instead of the solid. The liquid is a faster way to raise it and get it to the levels you want, easier to come up from low to the level you want without overshooting, and takes far less time and effort than socks and squeezing repeatedly over the course of time as things slowly dissolve. For ME, the cost differential of liquid vs. solid versus MY time and effort weighs it in favor of liquid. YMMV. Both techniques are appropriate to raise CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.