Sand In Pool

Travis Murray

Gold Supporter
Apr 29, 2015
High Point, NC
Hi All -

I recently replaced the sand in my Jacuzzi Laser 250L sand filter. When I did it, I checked the laterals and the stand pipe, and they all seemed fine (although I will admit, I don't really know what I am looking for other than visible cracks). Since putting it back together, there is sand coming into the pool through the returns. There is not a big pile of sand under the return, as I have read will happen when a lateral breaks. But there is a steady stream of sand blowing in when I run the filter.

The most concerning part to me is that this happens even when I set the filter to Whirlpool (which I think is the Jacuzzi equivalent of Re-Circulate). My understanding is that this setting would not touch the sand at all, so I am concerned that the problem is bigger than just a cracked lateral or stand pipe. I could replace the whole valve, but I would hate to do that and then find out that it wasn't the problem. And I could obviously remove the sand and check all the laterals again. But, I thought I would post here before I tried anything else and see if you guys had any ideas.

Edit: I don't know if this is an important detail or not, but I used Zeolite instead of sand.

Thanks in advance,

-Travis

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. :wave: So what you are referring to as sand is actually ze0olite. The first thing that comes to my mind is that zeo sometimes takes some extra rinsing steps........have you performed those?

Well, that's easy, I guess!

How much more? Five minutes? Ten minutes? And should I alternate between backwash and rinse, or just do X minutes of one, then the other?

And does it make sense that I would be seeing zeolite go into the pool even on whirlpool (re-circulate) mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just following up, in case anybody else stumbles upon this thread. In addition to the sand in the pool, I noticed that I was having a problem with back pressure. Any time I would turn off the filter, the pressure back toward the pool would blow off the skimmer cover, etc. I tracked it down to a pipe between the motor and the filter. I tightened that to fix the pressure issue, and lo and behold, the sand issue went away as well. Right now my pool is the clearest it has ever been, and I'm a very happy man.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.