New build- design and quote process

95Ag

Apr 6, 2015
China Spring, Tx
Newbie here- Love the site and helpful posters.

We are currently in the "design/quote phase". We visited with 2 companies and each has submitted a design (one with pricing). We like one company and the design but would like to have an additional bid on his work. Is it standard to to use one companies design for another builder to bid?

Any suggestions for this part of the process?

I would like to post the design for y'all to review (if i can figure out how to post pics). I'm sure veteran pool owners will have insight that we may be missing.

Thanks!

Welcome to TFP. Maybe not to outright take their design and give it to another builder. But, it is pretty normal to take ideas from each and refine your plan with ideas from each. Unless one of them just nailed the design and you love it.

Lots of us are happy to see your plan and give feedback.

I would not give the second person the first bid. I would tell them the things that you like, but leave it at that. If you give the 2nd person the same design, you may stifle creativity. The 2nd person might have greater ideas than the first.

I would not give the second person the first bid. I would tell them the things that you like, but leave it at that. If you give the 2nd person the same design, you may stifle creativity. The 2nd person might have greater ideas than the first.

Agree 100% Just provide dimension/depth details, water features, and specific pool equipment requirements. See what they come back with.

It is amazing how similar the pools will look if you draw your preferred design on the back of a napkin. This way, you will get the same general design, but you might see a few minor tweaks from different designs that you really like. I tended to try and get them to design it toward similar specs (perimeter, depths, L x W, features, equipment, etc.)

And I would tend to ignore pricing on your first run and try to learn about the offers and who you prefer as a builder. Once you are ready to lock in, you can use other prices against your selected PB.

Good luck!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.