Inground Pool Lights - screws broke - how do I do?

Sep 21, 2013
Hello - emptied out my pool and I am in the process of rehabbing it (sand blast bottom, prime and paint and fix lights). Attached are images of light fixture and it is in sad shape. All the bolts have corroded and broken off.

i don't care if the lights work, but want to seal up the fixture so it doesn't leak - any ideas? i know i need to recaulk, but how do i keep the ring attached to the fixture> I cannot remove the fixture because it is behind fiberglass wall.

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_1761 (2).jpg
    IMG_1761 (2).jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1760 (2).jpg
    IMG_1760 (2).jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 156
the light niche shouldn't leak once a face plate is installed and screwed on with the seal. Make sure you buy new seal gasket for face/trim of light. And new trim depending on how the old one looked. That's where your leak will come from. Not the fixture. You can drill broken bolts out of old niche. just seal well with silicone right before you tighten down old fixture. Now for getting the old fixture to work, I cant help much. Make sure you clean the tract really well where the fixture sits in the niche. I can see from second pic theres old sealant in there,get that out. That thing you call a ring is called a face trim and you can buy a new replacement depending on brand of light. If you drill out rusted screws you then will have holes to screw the new facetrim onto.

Is there anything left of label on back of light. It should have watts/ amps, etc. Can you send pic of back of light fixture? It is either an Hayward astro or a old Pentair. The back will help. But the niche looks like a Hayward product. If you look up Hayward light replacement parts on Hayward website. It shows diagrams of old lights and available parts. The seal is pretty standard the niche hasnt changed much. New ones are now poly and old ones where metal. But they are all still same screw pattern. You can purchase from various online sources once we figure out the manufacturer. But lie I said pretty sure its a Hayward niche and fixture. Look up those diagrams for the astro light and let me know if the bolt pattern is the same.

The back of light fixture says LAMP 300W Max 12V Use with housing 41173

dpease - Thanks for response

Bolt pattern seems to be same, the ring on the niche is 12".

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is going to be too difficult to try to remove broken brass bolts, so I am going to cut screws flat with surface and drill new holes and use self tapping stainless steel screws.
Any concerns?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.