Mineralizer System

Apr 29, 2015
Clark, NJ
Hello Everyone. I'm new to this forum. Been browsing around the forum but couldn't find anything about a Mineralizer system. We purchased house with an inground pool. Pool size is 20'x40'. The pool company that came out suggested a Mineralizer system. So i went ahead and agreed on the install. My question is, can I have both salt chlorinator and Mineralizer system together? My wife doesn't react well to chlorine and bleach. The rep that I spoke too about the Mineralizer system suggested no-chlorine shock. I know it's a good idea to shock the pool every 1 1/2 weeks or so, but would I also need to add anything other chemicals with the system?

Thanks

If you do a search of the forum you'll find very little "pro" mineralizer systems. Chlorine has gotten a bad rap and if your wife was reacting to something, it was likely either PH that was not in range or high CC or a combination.

Do a little homework but I'd try to get out of that contract ASAP until you understand a bit more what you are dealing with.

A properly chlorinated and maintained pool almost NEVER needs shocking, especially not weekly or every other. I shock my pool when I close it, and that's about it...

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Nearly all negative complaints about chlorine are due to an experience with an improperly maintained pool.

Also, a saltwater chlorinator is generating chlorine in the water. This chlorine is EXACTLY the same as would be added by bleach.

The minerals are a bad idea. Here is a post about supposed alternative sanitizers: http://www.troublefreepool.com/thre...s-and-quot-chemical-free-quot-pools-The-Truth!

Thanks for the quick response. I spoke to a person that has the system in place and he said he likes it. He throws in a gallon of bleach every two weeks to kill all the stuff that silver and copper don't kill.

Can I have a combination of mineralizer system and salt chlorine generator?

You certainly can have both mineralizer and a SWCG (Salt Water Chlorine Generator), but the mineralizer is a complete waste of money. You can learn to maintain your pool with a SWCG for free by reading around here and applying the principals you learn. The SWCG is all the sanitation you need. No need adding something that's solely designed to increase the profits of the pool store without any benefit to you or your pool. Also adding copper will in all likelihood cause staining of hair and pool surfaces at some point.

They are not that expensive, but still a complete waste. At best they do no harm and at worst stains everyone's hair green and stains the pool surface which can be very difficult to remove.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Welcome to the forum. Just to reinforce what some of the other people have mentioned, your salt water generator is actually generating chlorine from the salt in the water. So even though you have a salt water pool, the water itself is still being sanitized by chlorine.

Once you see the staining, you have two choices. You can either drain and replace water to get the metal levels down, or add sequestrant to keep them in suspension, which is an ongoing issue because you have to keep adding it as long as there are metals in the water. Then there's still the stain you have to deal with and copper stains can be very hard to impossible to remove.

If you have it installed I would keep it turned to the lowest setting possible. I'd probably even keep it turned off most of the time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.