needing some help with my readings.

dwest

Apr 28, 2015
Porter Tx
We are first time pool owners. We have been left with an older pool, and nasty sand in the filter to boot!. We let the pool go green this winter, simply out of frustration. I am attempting to open it again and here are the readings the pool store gave me,

Fc .5
Cya 10
Ta 40
Ph. 7.6

And they are trying to sell me a ton of stuff, I just want to know what I NEED. Ya know! I will check back in a few hours, have to pick up all the kiddos from school!! Thanks!!

- - - Updated - - -

And we are planning to replace,the sand. Should we do that before or after we clean the pool up?

1. Why do you think the sand is bad?

2. You must decide to do your own testing or keep going in to argue with the pool store. Choose one but don't try to blend what we say with what the pool store says.

3. You will need CYA, Chlorine for sure but you really need your own test kit with numbers that make sense......no one can measure 10 ppm CYA so that test is off.....the other are probably as well.

4. read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School. You need to get a grasp of the basics and we'll help you walk through managing the pool yourself.

5. How does your water look right now?

6. We can completely end your frustration but it won't be overnight and will take a commitment to learn on your part......we'll cheerlead and teach all they way!

Since you already know what one trip to the pool store will cost if you take their advice, you should see that investing in a proper test kit will save you some big money in a very short time. You can read up on approved test kits in Pool School, or just jump ahead and order a TF100.​ With a green pool, the XL option is a necessity. If you can swing it, a speedstir is also worthwhile. Once you use it, you'll never go back.

About all you know for sure is that you'll need a test kit and bleach. The other chemicals are anybody's guess. I wouldn't trust a pool store test any more than I would trust someone swishing a sample around in their mouth and going by taste.

You can do it. This could be the last time you ever see green in your pool. So take pictures. And share them with us.

Some inspiration: http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/72516-Recovering-my-old-inspirational-links

The K2006 has the same tests, but the TF-100 comes with more of the reagents you need so is a better deal. If you order the K2006, you better also order FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refills because you will need them.

The K2006 has the same tests, but the TF-100 comes with more of the reagents you need so is a better deal. If you order the K2006, you better also order FAS-DPD and CYA reagent refills because you will need them.

+1 to this. Especially since you're starting out green. Getting the TF-100 with the XL option is going to end up being better in the long run.

To clean up the pool you'll be testing for chlorine very often at first and the k2006 comes with some tiny amounts of the testing reagents meaning you'll need refills very soon after you start testing!

Might as well start out prepared!

You have already done the first step in clearing your pool----------finding TFP and asking questions! Great job!

You next step will be to order the TF-100 XL. Like stated above you will need the XL to clear your pool. Depending on how green it is you may even use up all of the XL so...............better to start out the right way.

While you are waiting for your test kit look around for YOUR best source of bleach/chlorine. For some it is Walmart's plain, store brand bleach, for other is is the pool store using their jugs. Mine is my ACE Hardware just up the road using their jugs (have to pay a deposit for the jugs).

When you get your test kit let us know and we can help you with your levels and what you need.

See how much better FTP is than the pool store???? LOL

test kit and bleach=a clear pool!

Kim

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hopefully soon as you can not start your SLAM without the TF100.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.