New Owner- Trying to get Chemisty in Line

440dodge440

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 7, 2015
South Central PA
Hi,
I just had my pool opened at the house we bought in November. The pool is about 20k gallons, vinyl liner, DE Filter. I had the local pool company open it for me this time so I could see what goes where. The pool was closed in August, but they thought it looked pretty good considering the early close. I've been running the system on recirculate for a few days to catch all the worms, etc. I'm getting ready to turn it to filter. I did some tests yesterday and got: pH=6.8, TA=60, FC=Not much (0.5 maybe), CYA- measure this evening....I believe they shocked it with 25 lbs of powder. There are currently 3" tablets in an automatic chlorinator fully opened. I'm planning to transition to TFP method, but I'm trying to get things straight for now. I know TA needs adjusted before pH, is there any other importance to order of adjustment? Should I use some bleach to get the FC up to a reasonable level? I bought the TF100 test kit, so I can do many tests, just not sure where to go from here....Any help is appreciated.

The first thing needed is to raise the pH into the 7's, I suggest using Borax for this, see this link, Recommended Pool Chemicals. This will also raise the TA a bit, but the TA is not too bad if you are switching to using bleach.

We need to know the CYA so you know how much to raise the FC to. For now put two gallons of bleach in.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.