Using top rails to identify post locations?

I'm just getting started with my first AGP install (8'x15'). In reviewing other threads on how to get started, I noticed some people recommend assembling the top rail and use it as a guide for determining the site layout and where to place the paver blocks. Seemed like a good idea to me, so I start rummaging through my shipping boxes, and realize that this doesn't appear to be too easy. It looks like I would need to attach (w/ screws) each section of the top rail to the metal post top plate before installing the plastic top cap. Is this right? Seems like an awful lot of work, plus I would worry about flexing any of these connections since it wouldn't actually be installed on the post.

Or is this method intended to work only for certain types of pools with easy to assemble top rails (of which mine may not be)?

People assemble the top rail for Intel pools. Sounds like you have a metal wall oval pool. What you want to do is assemble the bottom wall track. Everywhere you connect two pieces using the provided hardware you will need a paver. This is where the posts will be when assembled.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.