It's Pool Repair Weekend!

Had read all up on this. Was convinced it was the right product. Called the manufacturer (UGL) to ask a couple questions yesterday. Never called me back. Left a FB message. Response said they would have someone contact me. Nodda. Here we are about to head out the door and visit 6 different Lowes to get enough of the product on our way to NC. Called again and spoke with someone who just crushed my soul! NO DRYLOK PRODUCT CAN BE USED ON PLASTER, OR OVER ANY OTHER KIND OF PAINT - it can only be used on bare concrete.

HELP! Need something that can be used on plaster and epoxy paint.

78d072cce652635fa4444c78777f13cb.jpg

Thanks for keeping us updated with such great photos! I haven't posted because I'm a newbie and can't offer you any tips. But this is fascinating to me, and so glad it's not me trying to do this in a weekend. Hats off to you guys! And I'm impressed with your moxy and knowledge to tackle this project! I've been checking and reading this thread like it's a hot new novel!!!

I guess all I can do is give you guys encouragement! It's such a pretty setting for your pool. The house, the grass, and the brick decking! Your tenants are lucky to have such conscientious landlords. Hang in there and wishing you all the best. Take care! Suz.

Thanks Suz!
I've been wondering if the post and/or updates weren't showing since I haven't seen any other comments or replies from my plea for help. Lol!

I certainly did not want to go with the big box store paint and repair options, but alas that is what we are having to do.

I never dreamed a pool store (nor Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, Home Depot, nor Lowes) would not keep pool paint in stock! Especially during pool season! Even Amazon Prime failed us. (Ha!)

Lowes had 28 of the 12 gallons we are going to need of a paint called Insl-X. We had the option of going with either the Waterborne or Epoxy. I figured out that Benjamin Moore is the maker of the paint, so maybe it won't be too terribly bad.

I called BM corporate to get some specifics and what I was told is in our case (with an epoxy paint having been used previously) we could either go with the Epoxy paint or the Waterborne.

We decided the Waterborne due to cost ($40/gal), it can go on just about ANY surface (since we technically aren't positively sure it is an epoxy over plaster (Leslie's tested it, rather than a lab), and you are NOT supposed to acid wash before using it (giving us good reason not to do so).

I have some anxiety over the patch we are using as BM doesn't make a repair compound and I have seen several places that said to be sure to stick with the same brand name on products).

I'm convinced the prev pics had some sort of filter on them, hence the hue of the photos. But here's one that was taken just as pressure washing was finishing up.

We have discovered that evidently the bottom has been painted at least twice. It was interesting as when the top layer of chalky light blue paint came off, the bright blue was exposed.
f746208f4456b464860b08edf2e40962.jpg

I think you haven't had as many replies as you hoped either because most people have little or no experience with this type of project, or... the people who do know simply haven't been on this forum.

I know that's why I didn't post sooner. I had no expertise to share. I finally decided I could at least try to support and encourage.

And wow! You guys have made huge progress! It looks to me like you've come a long way in a short time. I know your signature shows the pool is 40k gallons, but that last photo really shows what a big pool it is! My goodness, if you ever need a fall-back for making income, you've surely learned enough to get started in the pool repair biz!

I'm sorry you haven't had more help, but please keep posting. What you pass on may be exactly what someone else needs!

Hope you're getting rest tonight to forge on tomorrow. Wishing ya'll all the best! Suz.

Yeah sorry, I have no idea. You are in uncharted territory for me. But, thanks for posting about your process. It is very interesting and is bound to help someone in the future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you haven't had as many replies as you hoped either because most people have little or no experience with this type of project, or... the people who do know simply haven't been on this forum.

I know that's why I didn't post sooner. I had no expertise to share. I finally decided I could at least try to support and encourage.

And wow! You guys have made huge progress! It looks to me like you've come a long way in a short time. I know your signature shows the pool is 40k gallons, but that last photo really shows what a big pool it is! My goodness, if you ever need a fall-back for making income, you've surely learned enough to get started in the pool repair biz!

I'm sorry you haven't had more help, but please keep posting. What you pass on may be exactly what someone else needs!

Hope you're getting rest tonight to forge on tomorrow. Wishing ya'll all the best! Suz.

The pool looks incredibly long on this photo as (im pretty sure) the taker used panorama to get it all in.

This has been especially painful for me as we decided it best that our son and I stay home while my husband, father, and a neighbor (who we are paying hourly) do the labor. I'm sorta OCD about things like this and want them perfect. Perfect is not the goal here. Saving the integrity of the pool is.
So I'm some 600 miles away trying not to go nuts! Especially after my mistake of not realizing the surface needs and having to change course/products at the 11th hour.

There's a further history on the home which makes it quite intriguing, and I'll share that later.

Tomorrow appears to be sanding and plaster day. My father will have to leave to head to his home in GA. So prayers to the pool gods appreciated! [emoji1]

I wonder what about this redo is new territory? That we are doing it DIY? The size? The fact that it isn't a total refurb?

Yeah sorry, I have no idea. You are in uncharted territory for me. But, thanks for posting about your process. It is very interesting and is bound to help someone in the future.

Many thanks! I do appreciate the encouragement. And do hope someone else in the future will find the post and it can alleviate some research, time spent, and save the pocketbook. Even if a year from now it's a complete fail, at least someone will know what NOT to do!

LOL, let's hope for better than that!

What is unique here is the DIY and the paint. We've had only one DIY plaster that I can remember. Man, that was WORK! :shock: And I am not scared of some work! I built the 20 ton boulder retaining walls in my yard in August, with no pool! And I will never try to plaster my own pool. And there have been one or two DIY paint jobs. In my three years here. All others are new builds or pro remodels.

New territory? I'd say it's closer to taking a weekender to Mars (said with the sincerest of respect)!! To answer your questions: yes, yes, and yes!! DIY, size, not a total refurb. And I'd add this as the biggest kicker - doing it in one weekend!

I can't imagine what you're going through! I've often felt mental frustration is more difficult than physical labor. Maybe it's not being able to participate that makes it hard. Waiting is the worst, right?!

Hang in there. When you have time, tell us the history of the home. Ghosts, espionage, international intrigue? See, I knew this thread was like a hot new novel!! Definitely, prayers going your way. Suz.

I can't imagine what you're going through! I've often felt mental frustration is more difficult than physical labor. Maybe it's not being able to participate that makes it hard. Waiting is the worst, right?!

Hang in there. When you have time, tell us the history of the home. Ghosts, espionage, international intrigue? See, I knew this thread was like a hot new novel!! Definitely, prayers going your way. Suz.

i'm late to the party but like Suz i'm fascinated by it all. i also was born and grew up in Fayetteville so there's nostalgia thrown in as well. our neighbors and one of my best friends, were a military family. the col. has retired now but he still lives across the street from my parents. and half of the high school students from fort bragg went to my hs (e. e.)smith, 30-some years ago. i wanted to say that i have a deep respect for all branches of the military and the sacrifices all of you make for all of us. so, THANK YOU!! i could repeat that thank you forever and it still would seem wanting in comparison to what our armed forces has given us. so i will continue to pray for all our military men and women and from the bottom of my heart i wish you all the best!

oh, and don't fret about the pool (it's just a pool!) and it's minor in comparison to other things you've been through, right? right! you are strong mentally as well as physically and God's there with you too and His angels (like the neighbor who is helping). you will never be alone. before this is done everyone on tfp who can give advice will and the rest of us will be cheering for you!!

LOL, let's hope for better than that!

What is unique here is the DIY and the paint. We've had only one DIY plaster that I can remember. Man, that was WORK! :shock: And I am not scared of some work! I built the 20 ton boulder retaining walls in my yard in August, with no pool! And I will never try to plaster my own pool. And there have been one or two DIY paint jobs. In my three years here. All others are new builds or pro remodels.

ONE DIY plaster? ONE!?
Oh dear. WHAT have I gotten us into?!
I realize plaster is not the easiest trade. But I didn't imagine it would be much different than . . . repairing a hole in drywall. That's plaster too, right? [emoji32]

And in reality, we aren't completely redoing the plastering. Merely filling the cracks with concrete and then sanding them down a bit. It doesn't matter to us if the surfaces aren't perfectly smooth or there's a gouge or divot.

And painting . . . I mean it's pretty much thick paint, right? So do people that have pools usually pay people to paint a room or their houses?

I'm not saying this is an easy undertaking by any means! I suppose I just have the mindset that it can't be much worse than it already was (or can it?)! Worst case scenario, we have to pay the $10k quote for someone else to come in and do the work. We will have lost $1000 and my husband and Dad a weekend.

One thing I will go ahead and note here is that I wish I had learned of EZ Patch in time. And I MAY have used a roll-on plaster, and then topped with an epoxy paint.

Another thing I didn't realize (even after all my hours of research) is that you do not have to plaster AND paint a pool. They're typically one or the other. No idea why ours has both. But, given that the original owner of the house and pool was a concrete and asphalt expert (major contracts for gov't work), I tend to think he knew what he was doing.

Speaking of which, Suz, the brick that you are seeing is not actually brick. It's concrete that's painted as brick, with a stencil I suppose. Even more astounding is that there is no break between the poured concrete of the pool and pool "decking." Now that is talent!

We should have seal coated the deck the year we purchased the house, but other things came up that were more important. (I single-handedly replaced the hot water heater myself when the husband was deployed. Easy peezy!) but that will have to wait until next year.

Hang in there. When you have time, tell us the history of the home. Ghosts, espionage, international intrigue? See, I knew this thread was like a hot new novel!! Definitely, prayers going your way. Suz.[/QUOTE]

i'm late to the party but like Suz i'm fascinated by it all. i also was born and grew up in Fayetteville so there's nostalgia thrown in as well. our neighbors and one of my best friends, were a military family. the col. has retired now but he still lives across the street from my parents. and half of the high school students from fort bragg went to my hs (e. e.)smith, 30-some years ago. i wanted to say that i have a deep respect for all branches of the military and the sacrifices all of you make for all of us. so, THANK YOU!! i could repeat that thank you forever and it still would seem wanting in comparison to what our armed forces has given us. so i will continue to pray for all our military men and women and from the bottom of my heart i wish you all the best!

oh, and don't fret about the pool (it's just a pool!) and it's minor in comparison to other things you've been through, right? right! you are strong mentally as well as physically and God's there with you too and His angels (like the neighbor who is helping). you will never be alone. before this is done everyone on tfp who can give advice will and the rest of us will be cheering for you!![/QUOTE]

Hmmm . . . given your timeframe for EE Smith, I can nearly bet when the history of the house is given, you'll say "oh yah! I remember that!" Especially you knew any kids from Cape Fear HS?

Thank you for your kind words. While my experience as an Airborne Ranger Infantryman's wife has had its trials and tribulations, it's not near what my husband has endured, and beyond all what the children of the soldiers have endured. We are blessed beyond measure that our son doesn't really recall his father being gone. He was 4 when he returned from his last deployment some 5 years ago. (But truth be known, he'd leave again at a moments notice given the chance. (You can take the man out of the Infantry, but you can't take the Infantry out of the man.)

The biggest thing I have learned in military life is "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."

Household6, I am retired, 20 years, My household6 is the same way :)

In the military, you learn to just get it done... It will turn out great what ever happens... I wish you all the luck in the world...

Airborne

One thing to consider if you've not yet purchased the waterborne paint; it *will* fade over the course of 2-3 years, whereas the epoxy paint is supposed to retain fresh color longer. Our pool is an 80-year old concrete one, and I use the chlorinated rubber Insl-X paint. But ours is a small pool and repainting every third year is not that big a deal. Yours seems much larger and it may be worth the extra $$ for epoxy paint to avoid what looks like a real chore. (EDIT: Now I see further down that you do seem to have gone with the epoxy paint--good choice. Good luck!)

Here's our first thread, with the necessarily-quick renovation job highlighted:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/21684-Renovation-on-the-quick-side

Household6, I am retired, 20 years, My household6 is the same way :)

In the military, you learn to just get it done... It will turn out great what ever happens... I wish you all the luck in the world...

Airborne

Caught that HH6, did ya? [emoji6]
Are you 20 years retired, or retired at 20?
He's coming up on 23 years and still going strong (well, minus the broken parts that are starting to hurt with age. Lol!)

All the way!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.