Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

Sep 9, 2008
I am still working to rid our pool of black algae. I have a small SS brush and went to the pool store to buy a big one. The only large one this particular store carries is a combination SS and nylon brush. It is more rounded at the ends than the SS brushes Leslie's carries. It looks like it would do a better job getting into the rounded edges where the walls meet at my steps and on the built in seat due to the way it is angled.

If you've used this kind of brush did it work for you? Or would be a lot better to if we stuck to the completely SS brush head even though we can't get it into the edges around the steps, etc?

Thanks,

Patricia

15,000 IG White Plaster Cart Filter Jet Vac sweep New pumps
FC 75 (I kind of overdid it on the bleach while waiting for the test kit)
pH 7.2
TA 100
CH 280
CYA 50

Combo brushes are really designed for normal pool brushing in plaster pools. If you have a plaster or agrregate pool that is fully cured (over a year old) you SHOULD be using a combo brush every time you brush. All nylon brushes are really for new plaster, fiberglass, and vinyl pools.

OK, I didn't know that's the kind of brush we should be using all the time. I've never read that in the information I've seen.

Anyway, I guess that means I need to go buy a large SS brush to deal with the algae.

Off to the pool store again...

Patricia

waterbear said:
Combo brushes are really designed for normal pool brushing in plaster pools. If you have a plaster or agrregate pool that is fully cured (over a year old) you SHOULD be using a combo brush every time you brush. All nylon brushes are really for new plaster, fiberglass, and vinyl pools.

I have a diamond brite finish and I was always told that anything other than nylon would scratch. So you are saying that I should be using the combo brush? My diamond brite is 15 years old.

dd50 said:
waterbear said:

I have a diamond brite finish and I was always told that anything other than nylon would scratch. So you are saying that I should be using the combo brush? My diamond brite is 15 years old.
Diamond Brite is still a 'plaster' finish (Quartz aggregate--basically like a very coarse sand!). The stuff that holds the quartz in place is just a plaster. Once it's fully cured a combo brush is going to do a better job. I would say that after 15 years yours is fully cured.

Also consider that quartz is a hard material that is often used in the abrasives used to sharpen stainless steel blades, so it won't scratch the aggregate. As far as the plaster goes, after 15 years it's going to be rougher than it was and will trap dirt and algae more readily, hence the need for the stronger and more abrasive SS bristles in the brush.

Thank you. I was curious because I had algae in my pool but now it is gone but my steps are discolored and a little in the 3 ft section. It looks like the algae but I can brush it all day and it isn't going anywhere. It is lighter and breaking up a bit as I still have the chlorine high. I will go buy one on Monday.

dd50 said:
Thank you. I was curious because I had algae in my pool but now it is gone but my steps are discolored and a little in the 3 ft section. It looks like the algae but I can brush it all day and it isn't going anywhere. It is lighter and breaking up a bit as I still have the chlorine high. I will go buy one on Monday.
For algae you would usually use an all SS algae brush.

I've got a new pebbletec finish (4 months old) and flagstone tile. So far I have just been using a nylon brush. I have a little bit of algae that is on the flagstone tiles above the water line. I try to hit it with the nylon brush but it doesn't seem to do much. Would it be safe to use a stainless steel brush on the flagstone or should I try something else. I was thinking about mixing up a diluted bleach solution and trying to hand scrub it off. Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.