Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

  1. Back To Top    #1

    Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

    I am still working to rid our pool of black algae. I have a small SS brush and went to the pool store to buy a big one. The only large one this particular store carries is a combination SS and nylon brush. It is more rounded at the ends than the SS brushes Leslie's carries. It looks like it would do a better job getting into the rounded edges where the walls meet at my steps and on the built in seat due to the way it is angled.

    If you've used this kind of brush did it work for you? Or would be a lot better to if we stuck to the completely SS brush head even though we can't get it into the edges around the steps, etc?

    Thanks,

    Patricia

    15,000 IG White Plaster Cart Filter Jet Vac sweep New pumps
    FC 75 (I kind of overdid it on the bleach while waiting for the test kit)
    pH 7.2
    TA 100
    CH 280
    CYA 50
    17,000 gal IGP, White plaster, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter system, Sta-Rite Max-e-pro 1/2 hp pump; 3/4 hp booster pump

    Sacramento, CA

  2. Back To Top    #2
    Guest

    Re: Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

    Combo brushes are really designed for normal pool brushing in plaster pools. If you have a plaster or agrregate pool that is fully cured (over a year old) you SHOULD be using a combo brush every time you brush. All nylon brushes are really for new plaster, fiberglass, and vinyl pools.

  3. Back To Top    #3

    Re: Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

    OK, I didn't know that's the kind of brush we should be using all the time. I've never read that in the information I've seen.

    Anyway, I guess that means I need to go buy a large SS brush to deal with the algae.

    Off to the pool store again...

    Patricia
    17,000 gal IGP, White plaster, Hayward Swimclear Cartridge Filter system, Sta-Rite Max-e-pro 1/2 hp pump; 3/4 hp booster pump

    Sacramento, CA

  4. Back To Top    #4

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    112

    Re: Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Combo brushes are really designed for normal pool brushing in plaster pools. If you have a plaster or agrregate pool that is fully cured (over a year old) you SHOULD be using a combo brush every time you brush. All nylon brushes are really for new plaster, fiberglass, and vinyl pools.
    I have a diamond brite finish and I was always told that anything other than nylon would scratch. So you are saying that I should be using the combo brush? My diamond brite is 15 years old.

  5. Back To Top    #5
    Guest

    Re: Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

    Quote Originally Posted by dd50
    Quote Originally Posted by waterbear
    Combo brushes are really designed for normal pool brushing in plaster pools. If you have a plaster or agrregate pool that is fully cured (over a year old) you SHOULD be using a combo brush every time you brush. All nylon brushes are really for new plaster, fiberglass, and vinyl pools.
    I have a diamond brite finish and I was always told that anything other than nylon would scratch. So you are saying that I should be using the combo brush? My diamond brite is 15 years old.
    Diamond Brite is still a 'plaster' finish (Quartz aggregate--basically like a very coarse sand!). The stuff that holds the quartz in place is just a plaster. Once it's fully cured a combo brush is going to do a better job. I would say that after 15 years yours is fully cured.

    Also consider that quartz is a hard material that is often used in the abrasives used to sharpen stainless steel blades, so it won't scratch the aggregate. As far as the plaster goes, after 15 years it's going to be rougher than it was and will trap dirt and algae more readily, hence the need for the stronger and more abrasive SS bristles in the brush.

  6. Back To Top    #6

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    112

    Re: Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

    Thank you. I was curious because I had algae in my pool but now it is gone but my steps are discolored and a little in the 3 ft section. It looks like the algae but I can brush it all day and it isn't going anywhere. It is lighter and breaking up a bit as I still have the chlorine high. I will go buy one on Monday.

  7. Back To Top    #7
    Guest

    Re: Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

    Quote Originally Posted by dd50
    Thank you. I was curious because I had algae in my pool but now it is gone but my steps are discolored and a little in the 3 ft section. It looks like the algae but I can brush it all day and it isn't going anywhere. It is lighter and breaking up a bit as I still have the chlorine high. I will go buy one on Monday.
    For algae you would usually use an all SS algae brush.

  8. Back To Top    #8

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    florida
    Posts
    112

    Re: Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

    Thanks! I guess I will get one of those also because it looks terrible.

  9. Back To Top    #9
    Woodberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX (Candlelight Estates)
    Posts
    136

    Re: Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

    I've got a new pebbletec finish (4 months old) and flagstone tile. So far I have just been using a nylon brush. I have a little bit of algae that is on the flagstone tiles above the water line. I try to hit it with the nylon brush but it doesn't seem to do much. Would it be safe to use a stainless steel brush on the flagstone or should I try something else. I was thinking about mixing up a diluted bleach solution and trying to hand scrub it off. Thanks.
    20,000 gallon gunite pool, attached spa, Pebblesheen finish, Paramount PCC-2000 infloor cleaning system, Paramount ClearO3 ozone system, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo 1HP cleaner pump, StaRite cartridge filter, StaRite heater

  10. Back To Top    #10
    Guest

    Re: Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

    Why diluted? apply it full strength!

  11. Back To Top    #11
    Woodberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Houston, TX (Candlelight Estates)
    Posts
    136

    Re: Combo Stainless Steel and Nylon Brush?

    Good point. I was just worried that undiluted bleach might discolor the flagstone. Do you thing a stainless steel brush would be too rough on the flagstone?
    20,000 gallon gunite pool, attached spa, Pebblesheen finish, Paramount PCC-2000 infloor cleaning system, Paramount ClearO3 ozone system, Intelliflo VS main pump, Whisperflo 1HP cleaner pump, StaRite cartridge filter, StaRite heater

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •