Closing pool?

reindeerboy

LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2008
Jamestown, ND
OK, I was curious at what level of FC you want to close your pool at with no vinle liner damage? I am closing it on thursday.

Here are my numbers:

FC 6.5
CC 0
TC 6.5
PH 7.6
TA 100
CH 290
CYA 55

I have the polyquat and plan to add that and a bit of metal sequester to control the iron and copper levels.

I then plan to pour a bit more liquid clorine on Wednesday morning of about 66 ounces of 12% to get it to at least 10. I then plan to just let it drift back down on its own and then start to drain the succer Thursday morning and do the closing processes.

What do you think? Am I on target here?

The pool is at 66 and we are for sure done for the season. Wierd weather as now its warm a couple days this week, and then back to low 60s for the highs next week so its defitely time to close.

I just want to be sure as I am using the BBB method of closing this year. Last year the pool dude did it, and I had a green pool in the spring that never did clear up until I switched to the BBB method and that took 10 days. Pool has been sparkling clear ever since and never really had to "shock" the thing as I had my handy dandy TF100 kit to control the FC levels.

Off topic a bit but its a funny story: Went to pool store with a water sample. Dude said that they now use power tablets with the computer. :hammer: Great I thought. He ran the test, hit print, and said WOW. Must of done it wrong. Says you are completely balanced and that you dont need to do anything! :wink:

HA Ha. He asked what I was using so I told him. He said, oh yea we sell that for $100 bucks due to it being a comercial grade test kit. Chuckled, said nope. Got one cheaper. He said where. Told him. PB said oh yea, I been on there. I said good, then you already knew this didnt ya and walked out.

WHOOOWEE! That made me laugh this morning!

Chad, sounds like a good plan :goodjob: (you're not fighting anything in the pool as is evidenced by the 0 CC - so 10ppm is a good number to shoot for as long as the pool isn't full of organics - leaves, bugs, worms...)

Great story!! :lol:

**Brain was on at 7:30 this AM :shock: :eek: ** :wink:

Thanks Ted. Nope, no bugs. I plan to vacuum to waste first to remove everything on the pool floor and then finish draining on waste using the main drain. Works great, plus I get the pool completely clean before putting the mesh meyco cover over the top of the pool when I am done.

Yea, I am still laughing at that one. The pool store is good, but some of the employees make me wonder where the HE!! customer service has gone. Kids now days! Holy Crud, I sound like my old man now! Must be gettin old-er! :lol:

You might want to reconsider adding the polyquat before bringing your FC level up. I've read a couple of posts here lately about adding polyquat, and turns out that chlorine will break it down rather quickly. Do a search on polyquat, and look for posts by Chemgeek aka Richard. What surprised me is that the polyquat will only last roughly a month at best after closing. I may just go the chlorine only route myself this winter.

Yes, I am aware of it. I usually add it again in about 3 weeks. 2 weeks after that, the weather will get colder and soon ice will form. Once that happens, no way can algae form.

I do appreciate it Mike. I did read that information on Richard. I have been adding a bit over the last few days, and plan to add a big dose upon closing the pool and then again in another 3 weeks.

I feel that every little bit helps. Cant hurt and if I can open to a fairly clean pool next spring, then I have accomplished my goal. If nothing else, it makes me feel better. :lol:

Sad day. Closed the pool today. Bit warm today but looks like it will cool off dramatically next week. Low 60s to upper 50s for highs. Beautiful out to get everything done today.

I finished shocking this morning at 5am with a ppm of 12. I closed it up by noon, and now at 4 I retested the water and its still holding at 12ppm.

Put in a qt of polyquat and metal remover and she closed the meyco mesh cover on it just a few minuttes ago.

Now I get to work on the research of redoing my pump, adding new sand, laters ect and redo some old 15 year valves that probably leak air as bad as that old pump. The PB heard a whine in it as well and definitely said its on its last leg so thats the plan.

Found a 1.5 Hayward super pump with a 2 year warranty for $390! I may order that sucker this next March.

Thanks for all the input from everyone on this site. I couldnt of had a much cleaner pool this year without the help of everyone. BBB and TFP was the best find this year for me on the internet.

Happy swims to all! :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.