Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: pool turned green after conversion

1. Back To Top    #1

pool turned green after conversion

So I converted my pool from baquacil to chlorine and things went fine. The water turned a perfect shade of clear blue. Until 2 days ago...the water turned green. I had converted it july and the test strips always said there wasn't any chlorine in the pool, but believe me...there was. I dumped about 4lbs a day, but dropped it down to a few ounces after the water became clear. However much the book said to put in to raise it from zero to the designated amount. What am I doing wrong? Why is it green?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: pool turned green after conversion

What are you using as your source of chlorine? What kind of test kit are you using ?

Please post a full set of numbers so we can have a look at what the trouble might be.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

test strips do not work! I have some and they differ greatly from my tf-100 results. You need to get a good kit if you don't already have one, trust me I was hesitant to spend the money but it is the best thing I have done.

Good luck
    Sharkline 18x33 54"AG, Hayward 1.5hp Perflex D.E., TF-100 test kit

Finally....a pool of our own!

4. Back To Top    #4

It sounds like you never really finished the conversion and therefore were unable to maintain a FC level. Eventually you went too long between chlorine additions and algae was able to get started.

The solution is to shock the pool, see this article at Pool School and continue shocking until you can maintain a FC level.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

YO0u pool might have turned green because of an algae outbreak. Post a full set of test results and get yhourself a good test kit. Strips don't cut it!