New Pool Owner, What supplies do I need to purchase?

Apr 29, 2015
Los Angeles
I just purchased my first house with a pool. The pool looked to be really clean when purchasing the house. After waiting a month for the house, there are a bunch of leaves, and even some eggs (don't know where they came from, they are the size of small chicken eggs) in the pool.

What do I need to buy to take care of the pool?
An automatic vacuum? Brush? Chlorine? Salt? Test Kit? Is there anywhere that sells everything I need in a package?

I am not sure of the size of the pool. But I would say it is about 30 ft by 15 feet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard!

I take from your post that you plan on taking on all the pool maintenance yourself? If so, the first thing I would suggest is ordering a new Test Kit. There isn't an all in one product that will do it all unfortunately. The most important thing you can get is knowledge. Part of that is understanding what's going on in your pool. A test kit will tell you that. You can click the Test Kits link in my signature. We suggest the Taylor K2006, or TF100. The rest of the knowledge is here in the forum. The ABCs in Pool school is the best place to start.

As for tools, are there none left behind?

Thank You for your quick reply.

You are correct, I would like to do the pool maintenance myself.

The only pool supply that they left behind was a beat up net for grabbing debris off the top of the pool. Saddly they took everything :( . I have been doing lots of research. And it seems like a salt water system looks the most appealing to me. I am seeing quite a few for not very expensive and a bunch that are very expensive. There is one on amazon thats only 140 with quite good reviews : http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Krystal...283876&sr=8-2&keywords=salt+water+pool+system

I think I would like a salt water system because I hate chlorine and my eyes have always had problems with it, and my skin dries out quite a bit. Are there any suggestions for an affordable solution?

I will purchase a test kit. Do you recommend a robotic pool cleaner? I found this one which seems to have good reviews. Any thoughts? http://www.lesliespool.com/pool-blaster-pb-speed-jet-speed-jet-robotic-pool-cleaner/pb-speed-jet.htm

Welcome aboard!

I take from your post that you plan on taking on all the pool maintenance yourself? If so, the first thing I would suggest is ordering a new Test Kit. There isn't an all in one product that will do it all unfortunately. The most important thing you can get is knowledge. Part of that is understanding what's going on in your pool. A test kit will tell you that. You can click the Test Kits link in my signature. We suggest the Taylor K2006, or TF100. The rest of the knowledge is here in the forum. The ABCs in Pool school is the best place to start.

As for tools, are there none left behind?

I am a huge robot fan. Sorry to break your bubble already, but a Salt System Pool is a Chlorine pool. Salt Water Generators make Chlorine by reacting electrically with the salt electrolyte in the pool. Chlorine pools have a bad reputation with some people strictly because many are improperly balanced with regard to Chlorine levels. We all tend to like what we have, so I am biased toward Dolphin Cleaners.

One thing is for sure, maintaining your pool TFPC-style will change your views on pools and chlorine. Your pool will be comfortable and easy on your eyes, skin and swimsuits. There is some work upfront to understand the methodology and the lingo. But, once you get it it's easy and troublefree. The most important component of taking care of your pool is maintaining chlorine level according to your CYA level. If you do this algae will not grow in your pool. Chlorine CYA Chart

Here are some links to Pool School articles to get you started on the basics.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals

Also, tell us about your pool and add it to your signature as described here.

I am aware that a salt system pool is a chlorine pool. But I have read that they tend to be easier on the eyes and skin. I am in the process of ordering the TF-100 as you suggested from the link you gave me. Do you have any suggestions as far as a salt water system goes?

What else do you recommend I purchase? A brush? Any other neccessary items to start out. I want to have everything ready so that I can start swimming in the pool as soon as possible :) I've dreamed my whole life of having a pool in my house!

I am a huge robot fan. Sorry to break your bubble already, but a Salt System Pool is a Chlorine pool. Salt Water Generators make Chlorine by reacting electrically with the salt electrolyte in the pool. Chlorine pools have a bad reputation with some people strictly because many are improperly balanced with regard to Chlorine levels. We all tend to like what we have, so I am biased toward Dolphin Cleaners.

Yes, a nylon brush and a leaf rake/net.

Congrats on the new pool. It is great to have a pool. Even better to have a well maintained pool.

Need to know the info about your pool before we can start to recommend a saltwater system.

To start with and while you wait for a test kit, you need to scoop everything you can out of the pool and add 3ppm of bleach to the pool every day.

Use PoolMath to calculate how much bleach to add. I use 8.25% kroger brand grocery store bleach, unscented and NOT easy pour. Just plain bleach.

I added the information about my pool to my signature. I have taken a look at all the links you gave me :) I made sure to do that before I went and posted.

One thing is for sure, maintaining your pool TFPC-style will change your views on pools and chlorine. Your pool will be comfortable and easy on your eyes, skin and swimsuits. There is some work upfront to understand the methodology and the lingo. But, once you get it it's easy and troublefree. The most important component of taking care of your pool is maintaining chlorine level according to your CYA level. If you do this algae will not grow in your pool. Chlorine CYA Chart

Here are some links to Pool School articles to get you started on the basics.
TFPC for Beginners
ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals

Also, tell us about your pool and add it to your signature as described here.

Thank You,
I will do just that. I will measure the outside of the pool and depth. And start adding bleach to the pool using that calculator, until I get my test kit. Any recommendations on a leaf rake/net and nylon brush? I prefer to spend a little more for something that will last longer. But don't need the ferrari of nylon brushes, if you get what I mean ;)

Yes, a nylon brush and a leaf rake/net.

Congrats on the new pool. It is great to have a pool. Even better to have a well maintained pool.

Need to know the info about your pool before we can start to recommend a saltwater system.

To start with and while you wait for a test kit, you need to scoop everything you can out of the pool and add 3ppm of bleach to the pool every day.

Use PoolMath to calculate how much bleach to add. I use 8.25% kroger brand grocery store bleach, unscented and NOT easy pour. Just plain bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.