Smelly water

Apr 28, 2015
herndon, va
We recently opened up our pool (salt cell, covered in winter by plastic opaque cover) and the water is cloudy and stinks, rotten smell. Any ideas how to clean these, or do I just need to send a sample to the professionals?

Will making more chlorine and take care of this over the next few days?
Thanks

Welcome to TFP

We would need a full set of water testing to begin to point you in the right direction. We recommend things a little differently here than the "professional" pool stores do. They generally throw copious amounts of expensive magic potions at a pool while we like to test the water (no pun intended) and add to the pool only what it needs, when it needs it.

My guess, and it's only a guess is that you have something growing in the water like algae.

To follow our methods you need one of the recommended test kits. You can buy a kit at a pool store, but again the pool store kits generally won't cut it. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. All these kits contain that test while very few other kits do. Think of it this way, do you see a doctor blindly prescribing drugs without seeing the patient or having tests run?

Well hello there! Sorry to hear about your stinky pool. We here at TFP can and will help you make it clear and NON-stinky. We just need a little help from you.

-own pool-done
-find TFP-done
-ask questions-done
-order test kit-
-test and post results-

Let us know when your test kit comes in and we can help you with what is next.

Yeah I know the "experts" at the pool store will test your water for free BUT is it really free if they sell you $$$ worth of stuff???? Here at TFP really all you need is 2 things:

-test kit
-chlorine

Of course you might need muratic acid at some time but that will be know after we get a good set of tests.

Kim

Welcome to TFP! If there is any debris in the pool now would be the time to scoop it out. I wouldn't add salt until you know what your CYA number is. If CYA is too high you will have to do a partial drain of the pool to lower it.

Add bleach to start killing the algae. At least 3ppm chlorine per day per PoolMath
Order an XL TF100 from tftestkits.net and a speedstir
Scoop stuff out of the pool
Read this TFPC for Beginners and this ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

And most of all read these two links and get ready to SLAM after you get your test kit.
SLAMing Your Pool
Turning Your Green Swamp Back into a Sparkling Oasis

Please update your signature as shown here.

I'll pick up a testing kit today and will report back with results later, thanks!
Very few places, if any will sell the recommended test kits locally. You MAY find a Taylor K-2006. Do not accept anything unless it has a FAS-DPD chlorine test. Do not confuse this with a DPD test and be ready for the strange looks from pool store employees. They will have no idea what you are asking for and just tell you to bring them the water to test.

You MAY be able to get a Taylor K2006 at a store, but I doubt it; most pool stores don't carrry them. Really, it's worth the wait to order the RIGHT kit online; either the K2006 or the TF100xl. I would not recommend any other kit.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.