Simple pump filter question from newbie

Apr 28, 2015
Myersville, MD
Hello,
I have a simple question. I need to clean the pump filter basket, but I only have one ball valve before the pump, and none after the filter. The pump and filter are below the water level. If I close the pump valve is this enough to keep water from flowing out when I remove the pump filter cap? I watched several YouTube videos on this, but I'm just not sure I can just close the one side and take it off.

I can't get the directional jet fitting on the return unscrewed to put a plug on it.

More background about me...I'm brand new to pool maintenance. I had a company open the pool for me and teach me as much as he could about my system and what the parts do. In general I know about flow and gravity and physics, but not much about pool pumps and filters. I'm determined to learn how to do this.

Thanks for your help!

Welcome to TFP

Being below the pool, you are correct you will have water flowing backwards through the filter. Unless there is some setting on the filter you will need to block that return.

Is this a new set up? Can you post a pic of the plumbing, filter and pump. Seems like the manufacturer would have a way to shut off the water flow. Sometimes a towel or washcloth will help give enough extra grip to loosen the return fitting.

Welcome to TFP!

Yes water will flow backwards. Sometimes you need to think outside the box. I have used a ping pong ball for the return and a 16 oz water bottle in the skimmer. Best thing when you have time is bring the water level down past the return and install a valve.

I appreciate all your replies. I will get that fitting off somehow, even if I have to ask the neighbor guy to help me. I plan to install a valve after the filter, plus replace the one before the pump, but I haven't gotten them yet. I'm still trying to figure out what kind I actually need, and if I need other fittings. And no, this is not a new install. This pool came with the house I bought, and I have no idea what parts have been replaced over the years since the original install. I'm glad (for now) that it is a small, simple system. Perfect for starters like me.

You guys are so helpful. I have a feeling I'll be asking a lot of questions as I learn all this.

A picture of your equipment may help. They are cheaper but I would stay away from the red or black handle valves found at box stores. Ask questions, that's what this forum is for. There is no stupid questions here, someone else may have the same question and if it's not asked. No one is helped.

Welcome to the forum.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.