What is on the bottom of pool?

brmommy

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2013
Southeast Ohio
I took the cover off yesterday afternoon. There were a few leaves that had got in as I was closing last year. I got them all out with the net. The bottom looked great! Then I turned on the hose (municipal water) and started to bring the water level back up to mid skimmer. I ran the water for about 4 hours then shut it off for the night. I turned it back on this morning for a few more hours. The bottom was still clear. I shut the water off because I had to leave. Mid afternoon when I returned I turned on the water again. It got to where I could turn on the pump and start circulating. I'm not sure if it started before I turned on the pump or after but I noticed this brownish rusty colored stuff on the bottom of the pool after uncovered only 24 hours. It wasn't above 62 degrees here and hasn't been so I don't see how it could be algae. I fought with whatever this is the end of last season. But it wasn't on the bottom when I opened it. I just finished filling it tonight and plan to start with chlorine and such in the morning. What could it be?
dirt.jpg

Try performing an OCLT to see if it is algae.

http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/136-perform-the-overnight-fc-chlorine-loss-test-oclt

That looks exactly like what I was seeing on the bottom of my pool, mainly along wrinkles / seams in my liner. On advice of other TFP members, I performed an OCLT and found a FC loss of 2 ppm and a CC of 1.5. Prior to my SLAM, it would take 1 or 2 light scrubs with a pool brush or vacuum to make it disappear. After 4 days of SLAM, it moves like dust when the brush even comes near it and my OCLT is less than FC .5 to 1 and a CC of .5 or less. Now my problem is that, even though the amount is reduced, the remaining is so fine that I think it is passing right through my sand filter. I think I am going to add a little DE to my skimmer to polish the water.

Is it hard and stuck top the bottom? Is it only in one place or is it everywhere? No chance its just un-noticed dirt that was scatterd about, and the current created by the pump swept it all to the same spot(s) ?

I just found it last night so I haven't touched it yet. At the end of last season it was like a dust and would disperse as soon as you got near it with anything. It definitely wasn't showing like that when I first uncovered the pool. It is in different spots on the bottom only of the pool in various areas. Not just in one area.

Question on the DE? When you add it to the skimmer does it stay in the filter or does it recirculate into the pool? When I read that it is a carcinogen I almost hate to put it in there. :confused:

Adding DE to my filter has really helped! You do lose it when your psi rises though and you need to backwash. You want to make sure you are home when you add DE so you can watch the psi. I don't think when you pour it in through the skimmer that it enters your pool. I believe it stays in the filter until backwash.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.