Greetings from St. Cloud, FL

Hi there!

We just bought a house with a pool in St. Cloud, FL. After sitting vacant for 5 years, we were lucky to not find "Major" problems with the pool, other than a green swamp. Following a friend's advice, we "shocked" the pool and cleared it up in about a week.

Finding TFP has been a blessing. There's so much to learn!

Here's what we've done so far:
(All the pool details are in the signature)

1. We had Pinch a Penny come look at the pool and its components. They determined that there was something wrong with the filter and it needed to be replaced. (Original filter from 1996). We had them replace it. (Thanks Dad for the housewarming present!)
2. A friend gave me a "bucket" of granulated "TriChlor" and I've been putting in a "scoop" every week. Except for last week, when I put in a gallon of 8.25% bleach. I still have half a bucket of the granulated stuff that I'd like to use up. Maybe someone can tell me if it's worth it or not.
3. My husband fixed a small leak.
4. We replaced the lightbulbs and installed new drain covers in both the pool and the spa.
5. There seems to be a seal leak in the pump. We believe it will need to be replaced eventually since this is probably the original pump from 1996.
6. We fought off an annoying mustard algae bloom with daily brushing and lots of chlorine. **When the bloom first started, Pinch a Penny sold me a bottle of "All in One" and instructed me to put half of the bottle in and run it overnight. I did, but honestly don't think it did anything other than foam up the pool three days later. Fortunately, the foam went away after we put the weekly dose of chlorine.
7. The automatic cleaner is connected once a week (the day I add chlorine) and left to do its job for about 30 minutes.
8. Current challenge: STAINS - There's rust stains from "nails" that fell in during the boarding process. There's also some stains that look like mustard algae that doesn't brush off. These are mostly on the walls of the spa and on the curved part where the walls meet the bottom of the pool. In addition, there's a white line on the tiles in the spa.
9. Another challenge: ANTS - They love to gather around on the tiles and inevitably end up floating on my pool. Yuck! I'm having to hose off the cartridge almost on a daily basis.
10. Might be important to note: The skimmer is currently missing the "flapper/weir" door as well as a skimmer basket. I will be ordering those online soon.
11. The timer is not functioning properly and will be replaced soon so in the meantime we are turning the pool on and off manually. We usually run it from 3-5 hours a day (in the afternoon).

I will be ordering a test kit soon but, for now, I've been getting my water tested at Pinch a Penny.

Here's the latest test results:

Total Chlorine - 10.0 ppm (High)
Free Chlorine - 10.0 ppm (High)
Combined Chlorine - 0
pH - 7.6
Acid Demand - not tested
Base Demand - not tested
Total Alkalinity - 120 ppm
Calcium Hardness - 165 ppm
Stabilizer - 80 ppm
Total Dissolved Solids - not tested
Salt - N/A

I was told to add "Calcium Hardness" since my calcium is low, however, I did not buy the product and I'm hoping to balance it out another way. (Haven't learned how yet)

I'm wondering if what they call Stabilizer is the same as CYA?

Although there are no water heaters now, there are traces of a previous solar water heater and a gas water heater as well. There's also a chlorinator that is not connected and after reading some articles here, I'm thinking twice about getting it re-connected.

All comments and advice will be greatly encouraged and appreciated. I will take ALL the help I can get!

Thanks in Advance!

Welcome to TFP!!!

Yes, CYA = Stabilizer For you with CYA 80 (if their numbers are correct) the FC is just about perfect (they called it high)

Don't buy any more of their magic potions. You are right, they usually don't do anything other than make them a profit.

Yes, you want to bring the CH up to about 250, BUT wait until YOU test it with your test kit.

Mustard algae is an unusual thing to have.... How does the water look? Clear? Cloudy? Sparklely?

Once you get your test kit you should conduct an Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT) to see if anything is growing in the pool.

Did you order one of the recommended test kits.

While you wait fo rthe kit keep the FC up and start reading. Start with these:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

I will be ordering the TF100 this weekend. Ican't wait to be able to do my own tests and compare it with their results!
The water is clear and sparkley.
At Pinch a Penny's Pool School, they said mustard algae was very common. They also said that phosphorus could cause algae so it wouldn't surprise me if the bloom was caused in part from having the original filter cartridge soaked in TSP by the PaP people. (Before replacing the entire filter).

I will be ordering the TF100 this weekend. Ican't wait to be able to do my own tests and compare it with their results!
The water is clear and sparkley.
At Pinch a Penny's Pool School, they said mustard algae was very common. They also said that phosphorus could cause algae so it wouldn't surprise me if the bloom was caused in part from having the original filter cartridge soaked in TSP by the PaP people. (Before replacing the entire filter).
There is one reason you get algae, insufficient chlorine in the pool in relation to how much CYA you have. it's actually very simple. The higher the CYA the higher the amount of FC you need to sanitize the pool. Most pool stores just tell you to keep FC at 1 - 3, which is why on your report they said your FC was high. Ignore phosphates, total dissolved solids and everything else the pool store has made up to try to sell you another product.

If you have read around here much you have probably seen that not much credence is given to pool store testing. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. I'm sorry to say that the test they get wrong the most is the CYA, so I will be interested in seeing your results.

Order your kit and in the meantime keep the FC up. You are in Florida so liquid chlorine is readily available.

You need a weir door and when you order the skimmer basket order socks for the baskets. Socks in the basket will keep the ants and other small stuff from getting to your filter.

Welcome to TFP!

Tim's set you straight on the chlorine / CYA relationship. Understand this principle and you will eliminate most of the headaches experienced by pool owners who still adhere to the traditional FC of 1 - 3 ppm. Here's another resource to help understand the FC/ CYA relationship: [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

Welcome. Order the TF100 asap and take control of the pool. Pool School is where it's at. Everything you ever wanted to know about pools and chemistry.