Sand coming from return

Azgirl71

Platinum Supporter
TFP Guide
Apr 9, 2015
Sierra Vista, Az
Ok most of you know I have been slamming. I generally only backwash when flow from return slows or if when pressure rises with DE in filter. I noticed despite vacuuming that I would have a teaspoon/tablespoon of sand in pool after backwashing and rinsing. I vacuumed it up again and then decided to put a skimmer sock over the return to see if it was spitting sand. Low and behold it is. I will post the pic of it in a minute. Please not the pic was taken in shade and I had the phone real close so clarity of water looks funny.

Here is the pic, see the sand in the toe?

A couple possibilities: sand was already in the line of your vacuum hose, sand was blown in or pushed in from handle of hand vacuum, left over from in skimmer basket and broke loose, small hole in filter media, small amount was stuck in plumbing lines or Multiport valve and finally washed out(sight glass)
Just guessing sorry.

A couple possibilities: sand was already in the line of your vacuum hose, sand was blown in or pushed in from handle of hand vacuum, left over from in skimmer basket and broke loose, small hole in filter media, small amount was stuck in plumbing lines or Multiport valve and finally washed out(sight glass)
Just guessing sorry.

There is usually a small amount in the glass bubble. I wondered if that might be where it was coming from. I try to get it all out of there in the rinse and will sometimes even do a waste removal to get it out of there.

how old is your filter? have you ever deep cleaned it? If the sand is channeled, it can allow sand into the return line.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

since you were doing so much backwashing, it might be also that all the frequent backwashing just disturned the sand a lot, and some of it is spitting out and may settle down in a day or 2.

There is usually a small amount in the glass bubble. I wondered if that might be where it was coming from. I try to get it all out of there in the rinse and will sometimes even do a waste removal to get it out of there.

ahhh ok.

yeah I think now i remember you saying that.

I would just keep a eye on it for a few days and see if it settles down. If not, we'll look for other things.

how old is your filter? have you ever deep cleaned it? If the sand is channeled, it can allow sand into the return line.
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/73192-Deep-Cleaning-a-Sand-Filter

since you were doing so much backwashing, it might be also that all the frequent backwashing just disturned the sand a lot, and some of it is spitting out and may settle down in a day or 2.
It is new. Got it about 3 weeks ago. We had the cartrige filter that came with the pool until then.

I don't know if it's what you have, but here we have very fine dust, and it made it through a similar sand filter/pool setup as yours. It was stuff that was fine, but heavy enough to settle quickly. Very, very fine sand that didn't cloud the water really, unless there was a lot. DE would help, but it was a forever battle.

I suppose this is prolly a very likely scenario. I dont have any experience with fine sand like Patrick has out West, so I never though about that, but it makes perfect sense.

I don't know if it's what you have, but here we have very fine dust, and it made it through a similar sand filter/pool setup as yours. It was stuff that was fine, but heavy enough to settle quickly. Very, very fine sand that didn't cloud the water really, unless there was a lot. DE would help, but it was a forever battle.

Thanks. I am new to the sand filter. I still have the skimmer sock tied on with a piece of bailing twine.if you don't think the little bit of sand will affect me finishing up the SLAM I will take it off today.

- - - Updated - - -

I suppose this is prolly a very likely scenario. I dont have any experience with fine sand like Patrick has out West, so I never though about that, but it makes perfect sense.

We have high winds and I know some fine sand comes from the air, but at least it is not clouding the pool. I also know my husband has a pile of fertilized dirt that has blown in as I have a few rust dots on the bottom. I will see if I have any Emergen C to take care of that or pick up some vitamin C tabs. Not super worried about it right now.

It won't, but now we may have a clue about your pool SLAM. You do not want that fertilizer in your pool. Don't fret over the rust specs if you can help it. You'll be upgrading next year anyway I bet.

It won't, but now we may have a clue about your pool SLAM. You do not want that fertilizer in your pool. Don't fret over the rust specs if you can help it. You'll be upgrading next year anyway I bet.

Yes, I see an upgrade next year. Or at least a new one the same size. The wind blew really bad after the dirt was delivered and I am sure that is when it got in there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.