Help me out here

High chlorine levels can mess with the pH reading. With a TA at 220ppm, you shouldn't have problems with low pH. If you do, aerating the water for a few days will raise your pH. You need to post a full set of test results, along with what kind of kit you are using to test.

Welcome!

pthemelis said:
Hellp,

Peter from Baltimore here. I need help.

I tried using Borax and liquid bleach. My PH is very low , below 6.8 and Akalinity is pushing 220.

Help. I am at wits end.
Are you normally using trichor tabs? Bleach and borax will not cause low pH but trichlor will. Please post a full set of test results (NOT from test strips) so we can see what is going on and let us know how you are chlrinating.

Once again, are you using trichlor for chlorinating?
Alkalinity can be driven up by your fill water if it has high TA, by pH increaser (soda ash, which is why we recommend borax tp raise pH since it has minimal impact on TA), and by baking soda (which has the sole purpose in swimming pool chemistry to raise TA).

Lquid clorine does not raise TA but trichlor does lower it over time (as the does constant addition of ANY acid).

Below are the numbers you need to post for the folks here to be able to give you some direction
With out the proper test kit you'll need to take a water sample to the pool store for evaluation and ask for all of these results.
pH -
TA - Total Alkalinity
FC - Free Chlorine
TC - Total Chlorine
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)

Hi and welcome :wave:
Below are the numbers you need to post for the folks here to be able to give you some direction
With out the proper test kit you'll need to take a water sample to the pool store for evaluation and ask for all of these results.
pH -
TA - Total Alkalinity
FC - Free Chlorine
TC - Total Chlorine
CH - Calcium Hardness
CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)
We also need to be familiar with your pool and equipment to aid in advising you. This may help you get there quickly.
I know it took me some time to find the right place to go and the last thing you want to do is play with a new forum format while in a panic :shock:

In the upper left corner of the "Home Page" under "Site Navigation"
Click:"Pool School"
"Getting Help"
"Read this before you post"
Next to do what is asked: Under the TFP Logo above click on the "User Control Panel"
Click" "options"
"profile"
edit profile -enter location
edit signature-enter pool specs.and equipment

Take a deep breath and try to answer our questions so we can answer yours.
We'll be here to help
jb :monkey: