Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Help me out here

1. Back To Top    #1

Help me out here

Hellp,

Peter from Baltimore here. I need help.

I tried using Borax and liquid bleach. My PH is very low , below 6.8 and Akalinity is pushing 220.

Help. I am at wits end.
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Pebble Tec Tropical Breeze
    Tsunami's Pool Build

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Help me out here

High chlorine levels can mess with the pH reading. With a TA at 220ppm, you shouldn't have problems with low pH. If you do, aerating the water for a few days will raise your pH. You need to post a full set of test results, along with what kind of kit you are using to test.

Welcome!
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Also, list your pool equipment and specs. Welcome!
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by pthemelis
    Hellp,

Peter from Baltimore here. I need help.

I tried using Borax and liquid bleach. My PH is very low , below 6.8 and Akalinity is pushing 220.

Help. I am at wits end.
    Are you normally using trichor tabs? Bleach and borax will not cause low pH but trichlor will. Please post a full set of test results (NOT from test strips) so we can see what is going on and let us know how you are chlrinating.

5. Back To Top    #5

I have a 23000 gallon pool. A hayward DE filter with a 1 HP pump.

My PH is below 6.8
    AK is now 170
    CL is 1.5

Does loquid clhorine drive up AK?
    40 X 26 Free Form Pool with attached 9 X 7 Spa raised 18" with 8 Jets and Spillover, and an Art Rock Waterfall/Grotto with accent rocks, 26,000 gallons
    Intelliflo VF-3050 for Pool, VS-3050 for Spa Jets, VS-3050 for Waterfall/Grotto, Quad DE 80, 400K BTU Mastertemp, Intellitouch i7+3 w/ iS10 10 Function Spa-Side Remote, Intellichlor IC40 Salt Chlorinator, Telephone Remote, 2 Intellibrites for Pool/ 1 for Spa, Solar Panels on 2 story Roof w/ 75% coverage
    Tsunami's Pool Build

6. Back To Top    #6

Once again, are you using trichlor for chlorinating?
    Alkalinity can be driven up by your fill water if it has high TA, by pH increaser (soda ash, which is why we recommend borax tp raise pH since it has minimal impact on TA), and by baking soda (which has the sole purpose in swimming pool chemistry to raise TA).

Lquid clorine does not raise TA but trichlor does lower it over time (as the does constant addition of ANY acid).

7. Back To Top    #7

I am using walmart brand bleach. I can only test TA, PH, CL. Do I need more tests?
    Tsunami's Pool Build

8. Back To Top    #8

Below are the numbers you need to post for the folks here to be able to give you some direction
    With out the proper test kit you'll need to take a water sample to the pool store for evaluation and ask for all of these results.
    pH -
    TA - Total Alkalinity
    FC - Free Chlorine
    TC - Total Chlorine
    CH - Calcium Hardness
    CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)
    14x28 IG Vinyl
    12.5k gal
    Hayward SP-Super Pump
    Hayward Pro-Grid 36sqft DE
    Hayward auto chlorine feeder (offline:using BBB)
    Hayward AG Gas heater

9. Back To Top    #9

Hi and welcome
    Below are the numbers you need to post for the folks here to be able to give you some direction
    With out the proper test kit you'll need to take a water sample to the pool store for evaluation and ask for all of these results.
    pH -
    TA - Total Alkalinity
    FC - Free Chlorine
    TC - Total Chlorine
    CH - Calcium Hardness
    CYA - Cyanuric Acid (stabilizer)
    We also need to be familiar with your pool and equipment to aid in advising you. This may help you get there quickly.
    I know it took me some time to find the right place to go and the last thing you want to do is play with a new forum format while in a panic

In the upper left corner of the "Home Page" under "Site Navigation"
    Click:"Pool School"
    "Getting Help"
    "Read this before you post"
    Next to do what is asked: Under the TFP Logo above click on the "User Control Panel"
    Click" "options"
    "profile"
    edit profile -enter location
    edit signature-enter pool specs.and equipment

Take a deep breath and try to answer our questions so we can answer yours.
    We'll be here to help
    jb
    14x28 IG Vinyl
    12.5k gal
    Hayward SP-Super Pump
    Hayward Pro-Grid 36sqft DE
    Hayward auto chlorine feeder (offline:using BBB)
    Hayward AG Gas heater