Just opened and its looks good but...no CYA?!?

Jul 15, 2013
Im here in Charlotte NC and just opened this past weekend...pulled the cover off and was happy to see some bright blue clear water with only a little green crud on the entrance to the intake (which has since gone away)

As this is my 3rd year of TFP and BBB, I tested first and found I had a fc of about 1...figured I would hit it hard and dropped a gallon of 8.25% bleach and let it do its magic while I vacummed and scrubbed the tiles on the sides. left the pump running for 24hrs..next day things look great, I didnt test..2nd day I test and see FC has dropped to 5...hmmm, that was fast...dropped another gallon of bleach, and pump ran for the usual summer schedule of 6 hrs straight..lots of sunshine during these couple of days btw...I wait another day, go out today and do a full test and look what I see...

FC 6.5
CYA-0? I could still easily see the black dot, not like in years past, it was 50-60 when I closed the pool in Oct, liquid was just slightly milky so I ran again and then again with another test kit to be sure.
PH 7.1
TA 40
CH 120

I still have some pucks from the previous owner so I threw one in the feeder just now and am thinking maybe I need another in the pool in an old sock...any advise fellas?

Did you test the CC?
Could be a case of the CYA converting to ammonia which quickly consumes the FC and shows up as CC. BUT, you seem to be holding some FC, so maybe that is not the case.

The sample will always fade back to pink ... that does not count.

Well maybe it converted past ammonia :scratch:

Nothing to do but add some more CYA and get everything balanced.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.