Rough gem coat from acid wash

lborne

Jun 29, 2009
Vero Beach, FL
I was able to remove stains from my overflow hot tub by pouring in a couple gallons of acid and letting it sit for a few hours before neutralizing it and mixing back with the main pool. However, I may have overdone it. Now the gem coat from Florida Stucco is rough and comes off when brushing. There is a small pile of the coating (looks like sand) at the bottom. Is there anything I can do to make it smooth? Will it eventually stop coming off? Should I brush with a stainless steel brush, or stick with plastic bristles? Or should I have the entire thing re-done? Its only 6 years old.

It's anyone's guess how much damage was done. I wouldn't brush with a SS brush. Get what you can off with plastic bristles and see how it goes. Only time will tell when it stops, if it does. A redo sounds likely here, but it depends on how bad, and how well you can stand it. Sorry to hear it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.