How did you decide to take the leap to in-ground pool build?

May 13, 2009
Mn
Hoping there are some people who will help some of us make the decision to build an in-ground pool. I would especially like to hear from people on a limited budget in areas where the swim season is short. I can understand building a pool in Texas, Arizona, California, Florida and other warmer climates.

Questions are:
When you decided on in-ground, did you already have experience with an above ground?
Do other homes in your neighborhood have pools?
Did you put an auto-cover on? Is it a top track or integrated?
If you have a top track, do you have issues with Ice damage to the track?
How deep and how big is your pool?
Steel or polymer walls?

Any other concerns, do-overs for those living in cold climates?

Thanks!

I leapt from a kiddie pool in the backyard during the summers to an IG monster that was already at the home I purchased. Nothing like easing into things...

I've never had to make the decision but I can tell you about my neighbors current situation.

They had used the pool at our house all the time in the summers as the folks who owned the home previously let them use it whenever they liked and the owners were gone alot of the time. Now that it's our pool, they and their kids are more than welcome to come over when our kids are swimming but they don't have free reign over the pool like they used to. So.... now they are putting in an IG pool as we speak. Their new pool is basically a clone of ours 20x40 with a 8 foot deep end, 3 foot shallow end. They have stadium steps while we have the center cut out steps is the only difference. They went with steel walls, unlike our concrete, and they also have a top track auto cover. REALLY wish I had an auto cover, we'll see how their top track works out.

I can't really comment on things they would do over since they're just putting it in. I know they're already over budget on concrete around the pool and trying to shrink it to bring down costs so be sure to include enough in the budget for hardscapes around the pool. They are total novices with maintaining a pool and I think they are reassured that I'm around to give them a hand with keeping the pool clean when they have questions, otherwise they would be completely "pool stored" much like the previous owners of my pool. Part of the reason they decided to get a pool in this area with such a short summer is that they were used to using one at our place and one of the parents at their house is a teacher and has the whole summer off and is really the "pool lover" of the family. Wives usually get what they want when they really want it. :p

-I did not have any experience with any pool LOL
-There are several homes in my neighborhood with pools
-NO auto cover, I have a quality mesh cover
-20x36 Imperial (Mountain Pond) 8 feet deep
-Steel galvanized walls
-Definitely add a heater

NO regrets whatsoever. When I'm in the pool I have to remind myself that I'm home and not on vacation or at the neighbors house!! LOL:D

Hi. Like Donny, I'm in Rockland County, NY.
When you decided on in-ground, did you already have experience with an above ground? Yes, I had a 27' above ground. We enjoyed it so much that we decided a few years ago that we would go in-ground next time we needed to put a pool in.
Do other homes in your neighborhood have pools? Some do. I'd guess 15%. It's not a neighborhood that has 1 million dollar plus homes where it is expected from buyers.
Did you put an auto-cover on? Is it a top track or integrated? No, too much money for me but they do interest me.
How deep and how big is your pool? 16x32 w Roman end bench in the deep end. 4' to 6' 6" (no diving)
Steel or polymer walls? Steel walls

Any other concerns, do-overs for those living in cold climates? Heater is a must for in-ground pools imo. You can swim from early May through September with it. Without I would not enjoy it until late June through August. I thought about skipping the two LED lights b/c it was 1k but for sure it was worth it. I also spent another 1k for higher wall (1 ft above standard) so that when I'm in the shallow end the water is higher. You can put off landscaping or a patio for a year or two but some things you cannot redo so easily, if at all. E.g., lights.

Agree with above poster on the heating. Without at least proper solar heating
the summer water temp in my region is unbearably cold. (unable to get used to once in, even after 5 minutes except july-august months)

I grew up with above ground pools and recall a 3 foot and later 4 foot vinyl round.

The 4 footer was a Muskin brand "quick swim."

I took care of the maintenance before I was ten years old. loved it.

Always wanted my own in-ground and got my wish this past fall.

Unfortunately due to some personal issues it looks like I'll be selling this
home and leaving the pool by this fall, but I'm looking into buying another
home hopefully with another in ground, but if not, will definitely be looking
for something that could accommodate an in ground vinyl or fiberglass.

For me it's not just the enjoyment of having one when it's hot outside,
but the mastering of a large body of water to keep it beautiful and sparkling...a zen thing for me. :)

When you decided on in-ground, did you already have experience with an above ground?
No I did not. I do not like above ground pools, because I am someone who like to swim/dive/jump more than just lounge around, so above ground does not suit my needs.

Do other homes in your neighborhood have pools?
Some, but not most. Split between above ground and vinyl lined in-ground

Did you put an auto-cover on? Is it a top track or integrated?
No, I was on a tight budget and that didn't seem to make sense for me to get.

N/A

How deep and how big is your pool?
40x20 Oval, Diving Pool with 8 foot deep end. Leaves me with a 16 foot long shallow end after the slope.

Steel or polymer walls?
Steel walls, no one sold me on why I should spend the extra money on polymer to make the expense a must have.

Any other concerns, do-overs for those living in cold climates?
I'm not as cold of a climate as you are in (I basically live in Cincinnati, OH) but we have a hard winter. I got pre-wired and plumbed fora heater, but did not get it yet. This will be my first full season, and I want to see what the season is like without the heater to see if I really need it.

Because I live in a Memorial to Labor day season area, adn my budget was tight, I went with vinyl lined in ground, and only paid for the things that I felt were must haves. I chose more area and a larger patio versus extras like an auto cover. I would pick that way again if I had to do it over.

We don't have unlimited sums of money, but am of the mind set that if its worth doing, it should be done right! We moved into our home 4 years ago. It felt like we were the only one in the neighborhood without a pool. Our new backyard was perfect for a pool. I reached out to a few pool builders for quotes and was shocked by the cost to build a nice pool/entertainment space. I'm a DIY'r, but don't think a pool is something I want to tackle on my own. So after coming to the realization that a nice in ground gunite pool was 2X what I was expecting to spend, we decided to first install a low cost Intex pool. I purchased it at Walmart for $300, on Amazon I upgraded the pump and filter and went with a SWG. I got 2 things from this exercise. First, determine how much use a pool would get. Like you, we have a very short pool season in New England. Secondly, it was a great learning experience, figured out the basics of pool maintenance and chemical balancing. This website was a tremendous resource, following guidance on this site I was able to keep my water crystal clear the entire time. Friends and family members who came over were shocked how clean the water looked.

After 1 year it was obvious the pool is a hit, we have 3 kids and lots of friends/relatives with kids. I also found pool maintenance to be calming and rewarding. It was stress relief from a busy day at the office. So pool is happening. Will be starting my build post with LOTS of pics documenting the process - be on the lookout for that!

To answer your questions:

When you decided on in-ground, did you already have experience with an above ground? - 1 year Intex veteran.

Do other homes in your neighborhood have pools? - Yes, 3 of 4 closest houses to me have beautiful in ground pool and entertainment areas.

Did you put an auto-cover on? My in ground pool will be rectangular shaped and perfect for a cover. Will we do it, that is still up in the air. Like others stated - its an expensive option. I'd like to and will ask some of the local pool owners what they think of their cover. I like the idea of extending the season by retaining heat using the auto-cover, I'm not sure how much that heat retention equates to. It may be more cost effective to crank the heat up for a few hours at beginning and end of season to increase water temp. Also hear they can be a bit of a maintenance headache. I'm not sure how well they hold up with a salt water pool and hard snowy winters.
If you have a top track, do you have issues with Ice damage to the track? - great question - not sure.
How deep and how big is your pool? Our pool will be 19'x47' and 3'6" to 8" in depth with 7x7 spa and a sunshelf.

Steel or polymer walls? pool will be gunite

Any other concerns, do-overs for those living in cold climates? Definitely consider a heater. I will definitely be doing salt water as I found it extremely easy to maintain once things were dialed in. Get yourself a quality test kit like the TF-100. I already had the Taylor or would have gone with the TF-100.

My wife grew up with an inground pool. We started talking about one for our house during one summer and then got serious about it the next. We have four kids ranging in age from 20 down to 7. We knew they would get years of enjoyment out of a pool. Our neighborhood has houses with IG and AG pools. We never considered an AG pool. We chose to go with a fence around the pool area over an auto cover. Even when not swimming, we enjoy being outside by the water. We thought opening and closing the cover may take away from that. Our pool is 36x16 with steel walls and is 8ft deep. We chose a rectangle to make the most room inside the pool area even though other designs were more eye catching.

There is a youtube animation of my pool that was created by the builder. The link is in my signature. Not much was changed from that design animation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.