Jandy DE 60sqft filter

Jul 12, 2013
Clarksburg, MD
So I'm opening the pool (early, another story) and while I've never opened the pool (new install last year) found some videos and read the basics and all seemed good. Pulled plugs from returns and skimmers, installed plugs (2) in pump and replaced handles on 2 valves (not sure why they only took off two). Re-installed DE filter and re-clamped top to bottom via that funky clamp...installed air pressure relief valve and connected bottom drain cover on filter (big 3 inch looking cover).

Primed pump, and filter is leaking like crazy. The bottom drain cover is leaking and I can't fix it. After taking it off and re-installing several times I take it off an inspect it and realize the cover is 2 piece...and insert that has a o-ring type compression fitting that sets inside the bigger cover that has the threads. Now that I know where it's leaking and why (not tightened) enough I try again. It says to hand tighten only and I tighten as much as I can and it still leaks...comes right out of the 2 piece insert.

So the question is, #1, is this supposed to be 2 pieces?

#2, while it threads OK...I don't feel I can get it to seat fully, is it supposed to?

#3 I didn't lube the thread with anything...should I?

Need to get this thing running as I need the SWG to start generating chlorine before a bloom occurs (granted water temp is **** cold right now, but my pool gets 10 hours of sun a day and it won't stay at 50 something degrees for much longer.

So any help is greatly appreciated...I walked away for awhile as to not get frustrated and break something (I'm known for this) so hoping for some answers before going back out later.

JD

Leaks like that are almost always caused by some kind of problem with the large o-ring/sealing gasket that goes between the top and bottom of the filter vessel. Open it back up and examine the gasket and make sure it is free of nicks and cuts and is properly lubricated (typically a silicone based plumbers lube is used). Finally, make sure it goes back into the correct position when reassembling the filter.

Just to make sure I understand....your saying that the leak at the bottom drain (very bottom of filter) may be tied to the 2-piece cover not being secured correctly? I have no problem taking it back apart and triple checking everything, just want to make sure I'm understanding you correctly.

I am very sorry. It looks like I completely misunderstood your original post.

If I remember correctly the inner drain plug has an o-ring and should seal fairly easily. But the larger outer plug could use some non-hardening teflon based thread paste to help it seal properly.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.