I tend to over-think most things

Let me start by saying I tend to over-think most things, and how to apply stabilizer has driven me nuts for the 4 years we've had this vinyl pool. Tried socks, hose, skimmer basket 'socks', slowly feeding into the skimmer (sans the basket). Today was the day, with a lot of help from my best friend, my wife.

The problem in all methods has always been the same, how to dissolve the the darn stuff. Won't go into all the things that that don't work and take forever. This solution works, is easy, safe, and fast.

First, I did put a skimmer sock in the skimmer to act as the final filter.
Then in a blender, I put 3 cups of tap-hot water.
I put the top on and start on lowest speed. Then remove the top.
Slowly add 1 cup of stabilizer. Put the top back on.
Crank it up to highest setting and let it work for a while. It will become somewhat milky in texture.
Turn it off and pour it into the skimmer basket, which has the skimmer sock in it.

It doesn't take long to be processed and ready for the next batch.

Re: Adding Stabilizer...

With the help of my best friend, my wife, I invented a new method. Getting 10+ lbs of stabilizer with socks was taking forever.

I put a skimmer sock in the skimmer, then used hot tap water and a blender to dissolve the stabilizer and just poured it into the skimmer. 3 C hot water to 1 C stabilizer.
Piece of cake. No clumping in the skimmer sock, no residue on the pool floor to brush.

Re: Adding Stabilizer...

With the help of my best friend, my wife, I invented a new method. Getting 10+ lbs of stabilizer with socks was taking forever.

I put a skimmer sock in the skimmer, then used hot tap water and a blender to dissolve the stabilizer and just poured it into the skimmer. 3 C hot water to 1 C stabilizer.
Piece of cake. No clumping in the skimmer sock, no residue on the pool floor to brush.

Oooooh....neat. I'm going to have to try that! I'll do it in Skippy's Magic Bullet. Thanks!

Re: adding stabilizer to pool

You really need to relax.

There is no problem with CYA taking some time to dissolve.

There is nothing here that needs solving and no point in sacrificing your blender. CYA takes the time it takes to dissolve. That is not a problem. Breathe deeply, read a book on Zen, and let it take a week. It is still going to take a week to dissolve even after you pulverize it. In the mean time, if the powder was to accumulate somewhere in the pool it could damage the pool surface.

FrecklesDad,

I'd like to first off welcome to TFP! I hope you enjoy yourself here. I too worry about your method of adding the CYA to your water. At best, it just "hides" the fact that you have undissolved CYA sitting on the bottom of your pool. Being in a hurry while adding chemicals to your pool almost always leads to undesired results. Rather than risking your equipment (liner and blender) take a few minutes and slow things down. Nothing bad is going to happen while the CYA dissolves, it just takes some extra time. :D

Relax some and remember..............it's only water. :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.